The ID4A Master educational aim is to train professionals skilful at developing high quality projects in the field that ranges over the architectural layout and the efficiency of the building components.
The Master has also the objective of completing the training of designers, extending their expertise and problem solving skills with the culture and tools typical of Industrial Design. This aim is sought through an educational course that integrates theoretical knowledge with design studios, vocational activities such as visits to companies and practices and meeting with professionals, and the mandatory internship in architecture and design practices or companies of the building sector.
The Master course aims at answering to the ever-changing job market, that demands professionals able to work within contexts where multidisciplinary skills are useful and appreciated. The Master ID4A trains designers able to operate on different canvas and to tackle the challenges of the integrated design into diverse national and international realities of the building sector.
The program includes three formative areas dealing with different aspects of Industrial Design:
• Design Culture: history and evolution of design, with special reference to aesthetic developments and to the ever closer relationship that has been developing over the years between product and build up space.
• Design Technology: study of the different technology, materials and tools needed in conceiving and realizing products that combine in a built up environment.
• Design Strategy: study of new construction processes, design innovation management and the introduction of design in the corporate strategies of companies in the sector.
A fourth area will be added to these: Design Studio, which will include practical work in design on various design themes such as:
• designing finished built-in products, in other words as integratable building components;
• designing electronic consumer products and space saving products that are highly intergratable with building manufacturing;
• designing serial construction products, e.g. for temporary structures and modular building solutions;
Such tasks may be individual or in teams and may envisage the participation of a leading companies in the sector of reference. The assessment achieved will constitute the basis for final marking.
Lessons will be held in English.
For more information: http://www.polidesign.net/id4a
Methodology and structure - Objective of the course is teaching the design methodology that allows students to get a quality combination of experiences by analyzing the contemporary consumer’s codes of expression and behaviors, the customer’s identity, current trends in design and materials technology. Students learn to develop their own expressive language and to enhancing it with their creativity. They create project layouts particularly accurate in colors, materials, finishes and lighting effects, offering new sensory and emotional experiences.
The main activity of the classes is developing strategic value projects, able to meet the diverse needs of the design industries. Under the guidance of a faculty, consisting mainly of professionals and designers, projects take place according to an open system, in which participants are invited to collaborate with Italian companies of international reputation and new brands looking for an innovative and sustainable design.
The program consists of four weeks of introductory workshops, aiming to examine the knowledge and methods of design students from all over the world, and three Project Laboratories of different length and increasing complexity. The projects simulate a real professional situation: brief, development and presentation.
The Master course includes seminars, visits to leading materials manufacturers and showrooms, participation at events (most notably the Salone del Mobile in Milan), workshops and interdisciplinary laboratories.
Final step the programe is presentation of the Final Project that comprises evidence of the journey taken and the knowledge gained.
Among the project partner companies of previous editions: Febal, Colombini Group, Rhizome, TVS, Jacuzzi, JVC Kenwood, Verallia.