The Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature has been developed by the Department of Spanish, School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures, National University of Ireland Maynooth to address the needs of those working or wishing to work as teachers of Spanish, graduates of Spanish exploring other career options as well adults with a very good competence in Spanish language who are interested in learning more about the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking world.
The Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature aims to
- provide students with an opportunity to specialise in the area of Spanish literature through the study of a broad range of Spanish-language literary texts from the Latin American and Spain;
- equip students who have little experience of dealing with literary texts with the necessary academic, analytical, creative, aesthetic, reflective and presentation skills to enable them to engage with literature in a productive way;
- enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of important concepts of the literatures, cultures and societies of the Spanish-speaking world.
See the website https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/spanish/our-courses/higher-certificate-spanish-and-latin-american-literature
Minimum English language requirements:
- IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score
- TOEFL (Paper based test): 585
- TOEFL (Internet based test): 95
- PTE (Pearson): 62
Maynooth University’s TOEFL code is 8850
The Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature is a part-time programme that will be delivered in an open learning format incorporating distance learning and intensive workshops. It comprises a set of four 5-credit modules on which students will be examined by continuous assessment.
9 x 4-hour workshops: 36 hours
Planned home-based learning activities: 88 hours
Independent student activities: 144
Total: 268 hours
There will be a 4-hour introductory workshop at the start of the course. Each 5-credit module will also involve two 4-hour module workshops as well as ongoing scheduled activities and independent study. The nine workshops, normally organised on Saturdays, will provide an opportunity for participants to familiarise themselves with a variety of approaches to the literary text, to present and discuss their ideas about the texts they have read at home and to critically reflect on the way in which literature both reflects and feeds into issues of relevance to the societies in which the authors are writing.
There are two options for completing the Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature:
- a 1-year part-time option, where students complete two 5-credit modules each semester and
- a 2-year part-time option, where students complete one 5-credit module each semester.
Before registration for the 1-year part-time programme, students should agree a study plan with the Programme Director.
- Assessment Procedure
Participants will be expected to attend all course workshops, to prepare for those workshops by reading prescribed material, and to participate fully in the group process and learning. All four modules involved in the Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature will be assessed by continuous assessment, which may involve a combination of methods such as essays, presentations at module workshops, reaction papers, or critical analysis of short excerpts from text. Participants will be advised on how to prepare for these and will receive feedback on their progress throughout the course.
The Higher Certificate in Spanish Literature enables graduates working as Post-Primary language teachers to engage with a substantial body of literature through the medium of the foreign language. The course would furthermore constitute an ideal starting point for further study in literary and cultural studies, including the NUI Maynooth’s M.A. in Spanish and Latin American Studies and the M.A. in Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures: Narratives of Conflict.
Find out how to apply here https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/spanish/our-courses/higher-certificate-spanish-and-latin-american-literature#tabs-apply
Find information on Scholarships here https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies/fees-funding-scholarships