The Department of Arts Education and Physical Education in association with the Department of Music offer this specialised MA degree in Music Education. The degree involves an exploration of music teaching and learning processes from a range of social science perspectives and involves interdisciplinary studies in Education, Music and other related fields.
Who the course is for?
Anyone with an interest in music education including:
• Teachers (at primary, post-primary and music school/college levels)
• Community/outreach workers
• Curriculum support personnel
• Professional/community musicians
What is the programme?
Taught modules will include guided studies in the following areas:
• Foundation Disciplines of Music Education
• Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Music Education
• Theories of Music Performance
• Psychology of Music
• Creativity and Music
• Music and Culture
• Developmental Theories of Music
• Sociological Perspectives on Music Education
• Principles and Practices of Research in Education
• Conceptions of Music Education
• Critical Perspectives on Music Teaching Methodologies
• Programme and Curriculum Design for Music
• Assessment and Evaluation in Music Education
The MA programme includes a student-directed Practicum module that caters for the professional and artistic interests of course participants.