Future managers must have the capacity to be team players, to motivate and lead others, to communicate and negotiate effectively, and must possess excellent interpersonal skills. The MSc in Marketing Practice transforms graduates into highly professional managers.
Based at The Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business, UCD, this is a one-year, full-time masters degree programme that has been carefully structured to facilitate its participants’ professional development. The programme uses the concept of ‘action learning’ to blend graduates’ existing theoretical knowledge with real commercial experience in a variety of marketing situations, thus improving creative, technical, motivational, leadership,
communication and inter-personal skills. In short, teaching them to practice as managers.
Programme participants – referred to as ‘Marketing Advisors’ – work closely with clients ranging from start-up concerns to multi-national organisations, while undertaking professional assignments such as:
• Marketing and business strategy development
• Quantitative and qualitative market research
• Market feasibility studies
• Consumer surveys
• Economic impact studies.
Personal and professional skills developed during the course include:
• Motivation and team building
• Client and project management
• Implementation and control of plans
• Self-reliance and individual decision making
• Time management
• Communication – written and oral
• Problem solving
• Analytical skills
• Critical thinking
• Confidence building
• Negotiation and conflict resolution.
The personal and professional development is achieved through:
• Client assignments
• Communication skills series
• On-going support and guidance from management team
• Structured feedback and appraisal process
• Mentor programme
• In-company executive shadowing
• Business networking
• Action learning dissertation
• Courses in contemporary issues in business and marketing
• Lectures in leading edge management thought
• Briefing seminars from leading business people.
The programme encourages applications from international students and those whose first language is other than English.
Applicants must submit:
• An up-to-date curriculum vitae
• Two passport size photographs
• A non-refundable application fee of €32 – cheque or postal order made payable to ‘UCD Marketing Development Programme’
• A short statement – 300 words maximum – entitled: “Why I should be accepted on the MSc. in Marketing Practice Degree
This statement should:
Draw on the applicant’s personal experience and emphasise relevant experience(s) demonstrating initiative, teamwork, leadership skills and problem solving ability.
There are two intakes – in the Autumn of each year and the following Spring – the deadline for receipt of applications for both is end-March each year. Individual interviews are conducted with shortlisted applicants between April and June each year, with successful candidates recalled for final interview (group format).