The Higher Certificate in German Literature has been developed by the Department of German, Maynooth University to address the needs of those working as teachers of German, graduates of German exploring other career options as well adults with a very good competence in German language who are interested in learning more about the literature and culture of the German-speaking countries.
The Higher Certificate in German Literature aims to
- provide students with an opportunity to specialise in the area of German literature through the study of a broad range of German-language literary texts from the Enlightenment to the present day;
- equip students who have little experience of dealing with literary texts with the necessary academic, analytical, creative, aesthetic, reflective and presentation skills to enable them to engage with literature in a productive way;
- enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of important concepts of European languages, literatures, cultures and societies, in particular with regard to Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
See the website https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/german/our-courses/higher-certificate-german-literature
Minimum English language requirements:
- IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score
- TOEFL (Paper based test): 585
- TOEFL (Internet based test): 95
- PTE (Pearson): 62
National University of Ireland Maynooth’s TOEFL code is 8850
The Higher Certificate in German Literature is a part-time programme that will be delivered in an open learning format incorporating distance learning and intensive workshops. It comprises a set of four 5-credit modules on which students will be examined by continuous assessment.
9 x 4-hour workshops: 36 hours
Planned home-based learning activities: 88 hours
Independent student activities: 144
Total: 268 hours
There will be a 4-hour introductory workshop at the start of the course. Each 5-credit module will also involve two 4-hour module workshops as well as ongoing scheduled activities and independent study. The nine workshops, normally organised on Saturdays, will provide an opportunity for participants to familiarise themselves with a variety of approaches to the course texts, to present and discuss their ideas about the texts they have read at home and to critically reflect on the way in which literature both reflects and feeds into issues of relevance to the societies in which the authors are writing.
There are two options for completing the Higher Certificate in German Literature:
- a 1-year part-time option, where students complete two 5-credit modules each semester and
- a 2-year part-time option, where students complete one 5-credit module each semester.
Before registration for the 1-year part-time programme, students should agree a study plan with the Programme Director.
- GN211D LITERATURE & SOCIETY 1 (Distance)
- GN311D LITERATURE & SOCIETY 3 (Distance)
- GN221D LITERATURE & SOCIETY 2 (Distance)
- GN321D LITERATURE & SOCIETY 4 (Distance)
Participants will be expected to attend all course workshops, to prepare for those workshops by reading prescribed material, and to participate fully in the group process and learning. All four modules involved in the Higher Certificate in German Literature will be assessed by continuous assessment, which may involve a combination of methods such as essays, presentations at module workshops, reaction papers and/or critical analysis of short excerpts from text. Participants will be advised on how to prepare for these and will receive feedback on their progress throughout the course.
The Certificate in German Literature enables graduates working as Post-Primary language teachers to engage with a substantial body of literature through the medium of the foreign language. The course would furthermore constitute an ideal starting point for further study in literary and cultural studies, including the NUI Maynooth MA in German or the MA in Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures: Narratives of Conflict.
Find out how to apply here https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/german/our-courses/higher-certificate-german-literature#tabs-apply
Find information on Scholarships here https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies/fees-funding-scholarships