City, University of London
City, University of London is a leading UK university, with a global vision and a commitment to transforming lives through education. It is home to over 20,000 students, 45% of which are studying at postgraduate level and has over 150,000 alumni from over 170 countries.
City is divided into five different academic Schools:
- School of Arts & Social Sciences
- Bayes Business School (formerly Cass)
- School of Health Sciences
- City Law School
- School of Mathematics, Science & Engineering
In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, 52.4% of City’s research was classed as ‘internationally excellent’ and 23.3% was classed as ‘world-leading’. 40% of City’s research staff were rated as ‘excellent’. This performance puts City within the top 50 UK institutions for research.
Based in the heart of the UK capital, City students have a wealth of academic and career opportunities on their doorstep. London has been named the best student city in the world (QS Best Student Cities 2022) and is a melting pot of people, culture and history, providing a stimulating environment in which to work, study and play. Read more about City’s location.
City’s research power, focus on business and the professions and central London location are just some of the reasons to study at City.
City offers a wide range of taught and research postgraduate degrees, with every member of the postgraduate community benefiting from outstanding academic staff, comprehensive student support and tailored careers guidance.
A postgraduate degree, whether taught or research provides students the opportunity to deepen their understanding of their chosen subject and explore particular areas of interest, while developing valuable transferable skills, including analytical thinking, research and presentation techniques.
In keeping with City’s close links with business and the professions, many of the postgraduate degrees are offered on a part-time and flexible basis, allowing students to manage their study around employment commitments. City offers over 150 taught postgraduate degrees, each developed by academic staff who are experts in their fields and who possess an in-depth understanding of the graduate employment marketplace.
City believes that to produce world-leading research, students need world-class equipment and facilities. City has invested £150 million in responsive learning environments, new technologies, library and study spaces and its staff over the past ten years.
The resources and facilities provided by Library Services are integral to the student experience and academic journey at City. The main Northampton Square Library occupies five floors in the University Building and there are specialist libraries for Bayes Business School (formerly Cass) and The City Law School.
City’s dynamic library collections are shaped by student demand. Subject librarians are dedicated to supporting students throughout their course by directing them towards the resources to complete their assignments and prepare for examinations. Specialist support is available through the enquiry points, online chat service, one-to-one tutorials and workshops to help students locate, access and use the resources they need.
City’s innovative learning spaces offer a mix of individual and group study areas to suit everybody’s learning needs. There are over 1,500 individual study spaces, many equipped with PC workstations, with approximately 200 spaces for group study. Group study rooms are equipped with audio-visual equipment to help students prepare presentations and to share and discuss their ideas.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Chat to a student ambassador at The City, University of London
Department / School information and available programmes:
School of Mathematics, Computer Science & Engineering
Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Library & Information Science courses, research and related activities are offered and supported at City by the School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering.
The two Schools have been working closely together for some time, and have merged to form a single new School to further strengthen our research collaboration and to share teaching activities. Both Computer Science and Engineering are underpinned by mathematics and Engineering increasingly makes use of advanced computer science. Therefore the merger will bring exciting new opportunities for working closely together.
The Schools comprise six dedicated departments, as well as specialist research centres and groups, supported by professional services. You can find information relating to our courses, research, staff, facilities and events on the pages of these units: http://www.city.ac.uk/mathematics-computer-science-engineering/about
Facts about the School:
* Engineering was at the heart of City's foundation in 1894. Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were two of the first departments formed.
* City was the first to offer courses in Aeronautical (now commonly known as Aerospace) Engineering in the UK (1909).
* The School is ranked 18th in the UK for Electrical and Electronic Engineering by the Guardian University Guide 2013.
* The School holds accreditation from BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT, Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) and Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing (SAP).
* The School is ranked in the top 200 in the world for Computer Science and Information Systems by Top Universities 2014.
Open Evenings in 2014
• Wednesday 19 November
Open Evenings in 2015
• Monday 11 May
• Wednesday 10 June
To book your place, visit this page: http://www.city.ac.uk/engineering-maths/postgraduate
Facts about City
* City currently has around 16,500 students (35% at postgraduate level) from more than 150 countries and staff from over 50 countries.
* More than 130,000 former students from over 180 countries are members of the City Alumni Network.
Our location in the heart of London
* See how close City is to London's major institutions & landmarks: http://www.city.ac.uk/about/facts-and-achievements
Our commitment to academic excellence
* We are in the top 5% of world universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2012.
* We are ranked 29th in the UK in the Times Higher Education Table of Tables 2012.
* We have 15 areas of academic activity where our research was assessed as being of a quality comparable with the very best in the world by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
* Around 35% of our students are on postgraduate or research programmes.
* We are the first UK University Student Centre to receive the Service Mark Quality Standard from the Institute of Customer Service.
Our focus on business and the professions
* City's Sir John Cass Business School is ranked as the 4th best in the UK, 13th in Europe over the past three years and in the top 1% in the world by the Financial Times (2011/12).
* Our Business and Management courses are ranked 1st in London and 2nd in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2013).
* Our Nursing courses are ranked 1st in London and 14th in the UK by both the Guardian University Guide 2013 and the Times Good University Guide 2013.
* The Sunday Times University Guide 2013 places us 9th in the UK for graduate-level jobs and 12th overall in the graduate employment category.
The School of Arts & Social Sciences at City University London provides a rigorous and challenging educational environment where the student is placed squarely at the heart of all that we do. We combine first-class teaching with an exciting range of postgraduate courses to ensure that what you learn with us equips you for your career ahead and our links with industry and the City of London serve to underline this goal.
We focus on a range of subject areas including:
- International Politics
- Culture & Creative Industries (including Creative Writing, Cultural Policy & Management, Publishing and Translation)
We are proud of the high employability of our graduates. As the University for business and the professions, we have strong links with industry and help to build links between our students and their careers. Our programmes provide applicable skills and a knowledge base which will enable you to operate effectively as a professional from day one of your chosen career. Our staff are highly regarded in their fields, with many contributing to the academic and public discussions through articles, conferences, media commentary and research. The School also advises the UK Government, the EU and international organisations through collaborations and consultancy work.
The School of Arts & Social Sciences at City University London is committed to providing financial support to high-calibre students through its generous scholarship scheme. Applicants who meet our entry requirements will be automatically considered for a non-means tested scholarship as part of the application process.
City University London, School of Health Sciences
Developing future leaders in healthcare
City University London’s School of Health Sciences, is a School dedicated to the education and development of healthcare professionals.
Our mission is to be at the forefront of influencing the delivery of contemporary healthcare and health policy through high quality research and education. Our diverse portfolio of postgraduate courses covers a broad range of healthcare specialisms’. This offers a unique interdisciplinary environment in which students of different professional and academic backgrounds learn, work and research together.
Engaging in research that influences practice and policy
We are actively engaged in internationally recognised research that has a direct impact on the provision of healthcare services today and in the future.
Our aim is to build on research excellence that informs and improves learning, practice and policy.
Our 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) results are testament to the quality and commitment of our staff and students. For example, The Guardian places us in position 5 out of 36 universities in Nursing and Midwifery Research.
Partnering with London and the South-East's leading healthcare providers
Our long-standing strategic partnerships with NHS London, NHS Trusts and associated professional bodies give our students placement experience with some of London and the South-East's leading healthcare providers. Our students get to work with diverse populations, illnesses and treatments in prestigious settings including St Bartholomew's and the Royal London hospital.
Driving career progression
Lifelong learning is a fundamental part of the School's ethos and many students return again and again to our flexible study programmes. Our Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) portfolio delivers a wide range of solutions that benefit both employers and individuals by tailoring activity that fits around personal and professional commitments.
We offer a wide range of day courses, modules and bespoke projects to develop clinical skills, broaden knowledge in academic and practical areas, and allow practitioners to move into health research. We also provide opportunities for healthcare professionals to diversify into leadership and health service management.
Graduate entry conversion courses
As well as delivering postgraduate courses at master’s level, the School of Health Sciences offers graduate-entry conversion courses, allowing graduates from other disciplines to gain a pre-registration health qualification. Courses can be studied in approximately two years as opposed to the usual three or four - providing a fast-track route into health - or gain a second registration in midwifery, health visiting, school and district nursing.
The City Law School is one of London's major law schools offering an impressive range of academic and professional courses.
Incorporating the former Inns of Court School of Law, we were the first University Law School in London to educate students and practitioners at every stage of legal education. With three levels of study - undergraduate, postgraduate and professional - we offer courses suitable for everyone interested in following a career in law no matter what stage they are or where they are from.
Our Academic Staff have a wealth of expert teaching and professional legal experience. Their student-focused approach and genuine passion for the study of law gives you one-to-one access to some of the best legal minds available today.
In addition to exceptional academics, we also have a strong team of Support Staff, there to ensure that the School runs smoothly and that you get everything you need, when you need it - they are also there to offer personal support to students as and when required.
- Bar Vocational Studies PGDip/LLM
- Criminal Litigation LLM
- Graduate Diploma in Law GDL
- Graduate Entry LLB
- International Banking and Finance Law LLM
- International Commercial Law LLM
- International Human Rights LLM
- Law LLM
- Legal Practice Course PGDip/PGCert/LLM
- Legal Practice LLM
- Maritime Law LLM
- Professional Advocacy LLM
- Public International Law LLM