Fully-Funded Research Study @ The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology | No. 3 World’s Top Young University
Established in 1991, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a world-renowned research-focused university located at Hong Kong, the heart of Asia. With the robust research infrastructure, distinguished faculty and generous funding support, HKUST nurtures well-rounded graduates with a global vision, strong entrepreneurial spirit and innovative thinking.
HKUST offers a wide-range of research postgraduate (RPg) programs through well-established disciplinary foundation (Science, Engineering, Business, Humanities and Social Science, and Interdisciplinary Programs), leading to the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees. For program details, please visit here.
HKUST is dedicated to advance humanity through education and original scholarship. The University has expanded the vision and established The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) in 2022. Under the “Unified HKUST, Complementary Campuses” framework, the synergistic connection between HKUST and HKUST(GZ) creates numerous bidirectional opportunities and are complementary in addressing world-wide challenges. Learn more about HKUST(GZ).
HKUST is now inviting applications for 2023/24 Fall Term (commencing in September 2023) admissions.
Why Study at HKUST?
- Worldwide Recognition: Ranked 3rd among the World’s Top Young Universities in THE Young University Rankings, 2022 and 40th among the World’s Top Universities in QS World University Rankings, 2023. Learn more the rankings of individual disciplines here.
- Global Student Community: 6,600+ postgraduate students from 60+ countries and regions, among whom over 75% come from outside Hong Kong.
- Strong Team of International Faculty: Over 720+ faculty at HKUST, coming from 40+ countries and regions, and all are PhD holders from leading universities.
- Research Excellence: Ranked 1st in terms of world leading and internationally excellent research work among the universities in Hong Kong according to the Research Assessment Exercise 2020 of the University Grants Committee.
- English as Medium of Instruction.
- Exciting Cross Campus Study Opportunities: To encourage collaboration between two campuses, students have opportunities for cross campus study and access to research facilities on another campus. With the University’s enlarged scope and additional resources, students can enjoy more flexibility and better support as they pursue their passion.
Generous Scholarships Available for MPhil and PhD Studies
HKUST provides generous scholarships for you to pursue full-time MPhil and PhD studies, covering tuition fees, accommodation fees and other living costs.
- Postgraduate Studentship: HK$216,360 (~US$27,700) per year for up to 2 years for full-time MPhil students and up to 4 years for full-time PhD students.
- Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP): A fully-funded scholarship for students from outside Hong Kong in East, Southeast and South Asia to pursue Master's studies and cross-cultural enrichment.
- MPhil Programs: HK$252,000 (US$32,411) per year
- Taught Master’s Programs: Full Tuition and HK$97,188 (US$12,500) per year
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS): An internationally recognized award for PhD students established by the Hong Kong Government. The application will be closed on 1 December 2022. HKPFS awardees will receive:
- Stipend: HK$325,200 (~US$41,700) per year for 4 years;
- HKUST RedBird PhD Award: A Recruitment Award of HK$40,000 (~US$5,130) in the first year and an Academic Excellence Scholarship of HK$20,000 (~US$2,560) per year, in the following years, subject to the academic performance; and
- Conference Travel Allowance: HK$13,600 (~US$1,740) per year for 4 years
- RedBird PhD Award Program:
- A Recruitment Award for new PhD students, with HK$40,000 (~US$5,130) and a waiver of tuition fee in the first year.
- An Academic Excellence Award for current PhD students, in recognition of their outstanding performance and research capacity, with HK$20,000 (~US$2,560) per year, in the following years, subject to the academic performance.
- Guaranteed University Accommodation: For full-time MPhil/PhD students in the first two years of research studies
- More scholarships and awards can be found here.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
- Master of Philosophy Program in Accounting
- Master of Philosophy Program in Economics
- Master of Philosophy Program in Finance
- Master of Philosophy Program in Information Systems
- Master of Philosophy Program in Management
- Master of Philosophy Program in Marketing
- Master of Philosophy Program in Operations Management
- Master of Philosophy in Bioengineering
- Master of Philosophy in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Master of Philosophy in Civil Engineering
- Master of Philosophy in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of Philosophy in Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Master of Philosophy in Environmental Engineering
- Master of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering and Decision Analytics
- Master of Philosophy in Integrative Systems and Design
- Master of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Aeronautical Engineering
- Master of Science in Big Data Technology
- Master of Science in Chemical and Energy Engineering
- Master of Science in Electronic Engineering
- Master of Science in Engineering Enterprise Management
- Master of Science in Financial Technology
- Master of Science in IC Design Engineering
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Intelligent Building Technology and Management
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Technology Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Master of Science in Telecommunications
- Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Civil Infrastructural Engineering and Management
- Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Engineering and Management