Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics (IGT) is dedicated to understanding the structure and evolution of the Earth and neighbouring planets. Detection and measurement of resources in the crustal layer and understanding of geological hazard; measurement of gravity, magnetism, seismic waves and electrical properties, theoretical and computer modelling, and surface structural mapping.
Institute of Earth Surface Science Institute (ESSI) researches the physical, biological and geochemical processes to understand controls on the modern environment (both land and sea) and how man is affecting that system.
The Institute is Europe's largest free-standing University department dedicated to transport teaching and research.
Our mission is to advance the understanding of global transport and to develop skills in transport professionals, which we do from a unique inter-disciplinary perspective.
With a successful track record going back over 40 years, we now have around 60 staff and almost 200 students from over 35 countries studying with us. This wealth of experience and critical mass means that ITS is widely respected as a first choice destination for anyone interested in transport.
ITS’ reputation for excellence is world-wide. We rank 18th in the world for Transportation Science and Technology, Shanghai Ranking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021, 2nd in the UK for research power, Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 and in 2010 ITS was awarded a Queen's Anniversary prize for Higher and Further Education - in recognition of forty years sustained excellence.
This high ranking means we can recruit top students, attract high quality staff and invest in world-class facilities.
Students are taught by staff who are not only at the forefront of academic research, but also have widespread practical experience in consultancy and as advisers to organisations such as the World Bank, European Commission and national governments. Our Masters courses benefit from this applied expertise and students receive vocational training of the highest standard.
Reflecting the status of ITS, the facilities for postgraduate study are of world-class standard.
• The University of Leeds Driving Simulator - one of most advanced worldwide in a research environment, which allows research into driver behaviour in controlled laboratory conditions.
• Research facilities dedicated to transport and environmental issues, such as traffic monitoring, emissions and pollution monitoring.
• A full spectrum of specialist software tools including those developed by ITS – SATURN, PLUTO, DRACULA and KonSULT.
Benefits to you
• Your study at ITS and University degree will be recognised and respected throughout the world.
• You will be taught by world-class research active staff who are at the cutting edge of their field.
• You will develop skills that are in huge demand by industry.
• You will be part of a friendly, supportive Institute within a large multi-cultural University.
• You will join a prestigious network of ITS alumni in influential positions world-wide.