Applications close May 15.
The English-language Master in Modern Indian Studies is an interdisciplinary MA programme focusing on economic, political, social and cultural transformations in modern India.
The study programme addresses a number of key questions including: How does India's cultural and religious diversity effect societal developments? How does the democratic system address issues of social inequality? How can the dynamics of economic development in a pluralistic society be understood?
Looking for answers to profound questions such as these requires an interdisciplinary approach. That's why faculty and researchers at the Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS) come from a wide range of academic backgrounds including development economics, anthropology, history, Indology, political science, religious studies and sociology.
About CeMIS & the University of Goettingen
Founded in 2009, CeMIS has established an excellent reputation as one of the few centres in Europe and South Asia taking an interdisciplinary approach to the study of modern India. It is part of the University of Goettingen, one of the academically outstanding universities in Germany. Boasting over 40 Nobel Prize winners, the university has a rich tradition and is renowned for its outstanding research institutions and its welcoming campus environment.
The University of Goettingen is an equal opportunities institution which actively promotes diversity. We especially encourage women and those from socially disadvantaged backgrounds to apply.
• There are NO tuition fees at German universities
• Affordable cost of living in a traditional German university city of 120,000 inhabitants
• The student union membership fee (about 300€/semester) includes free travel in the city and throughout the state, free entry to a number of cultural events, and subsidised meals for students at the university canteens.
• Third-party scholarships may be available. Find out more at http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/scholarships/557109.html
• Want to know more about the study programme, please contact Dr Michael Dickhardt: [email protected]
• Have questions about the application and admissions process, please contact Martin Ertelt: [email protected]
Want to speak to a current CeMIS MA student? Contact:
• Nidhish Krishnankutty Sundar: After finishing a MA in Political Science from Hyderabad Central University, last year Nidhish started a MA at CeMIS: [email protected]
• Maria Pomohaci: Maria is an international student who has just completed her MA and is about to start her PhD: [email protected]