Studying at ZEI offers you the chance to understand the EU and the critical interplay between governance and regulation. Taught by ZEI professors and a flying faculty of renowned experts from all over the EU, you will be a part of an international group of students with diverse backgrounds and experiences. You will have the opportunity to have your research published and be a part of the ZEI research team. You will train and develop important skills for your career. You will visit and experience the EU institutions first hand. You will make friends and contacts, which will stay with you throughout your life. You will become a part of the ZEI Alumni Network.
Political science modules focus on contemporary political issues and governance in Europe, especially, as they pertain to the wider spectrum of integration theories, and on the institutional and policy development of the European Union since the ratification of the Treaties of Rome.
Economic modules cover the economic, monetary and financial aspects of the EU, and analyse the Union's internal market against the backdrop of economic globalisation and the international trade regime.
Legal modules deal with the constitutional principles of the European Union, the sources and application of EU law, the regulation of industry sectors such as electronic communications, energy and logistics as well as the legal structure of the internal market and the jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the EU and other EU institutions.
The focus on governance in the EU deals with the interaction between political, economic, and legal factors and the dialectical structure of actors and factors in creating the institutional arrangements and policy fields in today's EU. Regulatory issues cover regulation policy and corresponding legal prerequisites in various fields, such as electronic communications, logistics, water, and energy.
Why choose our programme?
• Learn about current EU trends based on academic competence.
• Benefit from research-based teaching with a practical approach.
• Meet an international faculty of renowned academics and practitioners.
• Gain enormous career opportunities with your post-graduate Master's degree.
• Study in English at one of Germany's most prestigious universities.
• Make friends in a small, international, and diverse student group of fellows at the Center of European Integration Studies (ZEI).
• Open to post-graduates of different profiles from across the EU and around the world
• Excursions to the EU institutions in Brussels and Strasbourg, Luxembourg and Frankfurt as well as to the German government in Berlin
• New: additional certificate in intercultural competences
• Benefit from networking through Europe Dialogues and Business Talks.
• Take part in our diverse and exciting alumni network.
• Enjoy the friendly atmosphere and high quality infrastructure at ZEI.
• Take advantage of the cosmopolitan city of Bonn, the German UN capital (19 different agencies), headquarters of DHL/Deutsche Post and Deutsche Telekom, Deutsche Welle and many national and international organisations, state agencies and companies.
During the two semesters from October to June, students attend six basic modules of 30 hours each and five specialised modules, each consisting of three topics and comprising 36 hours each. Basic modules provide students with a general knowledge and an overview of the subject. Specialised modules provide detailed knowledge on issues of special importance. The programme comprises four field trips to European and German institutions, organisations and companies, a career development programme as well as business talks, in particular, with practitioners from the private sector and alumni.
From June to August, students write their Master's thesis.