Gartner defines Big data as high-volume, high-velocity and high-variety information assets that demand cost-effective, innovative forms of information processing for enhanced insight and decision making. A recent IDC forecast shows that the market for Big Data technology and services will grow at a 26.4% compound annual growth rate through 2018, or about six times the growth rate of the overall information technology market.
Saint Mary’s new Master of Science in Computing & Data Analytics (MSc CDA) is a graduate-level, 16-month professional program designed to meet the complex challenges associated with Big Data. It combines two essential aspects of computing and data analytics:
- Software design, development, customization, and management
- Analytics and Business intelligence: the acquisition, storage, management, and analysis of huge amounts of data to improve efficiency, innovation, and decision making
The primary focus of the MSc CDA program is to develop highly qualified computing and data analytics professionals who will drive innovation and organizational success. MSc CDA prepares students for rewarding and lucrative careers in the data science industry through experiential learning opportunities and industry interaction.
In the first two semesters of the MSc CDA program, students are introduced to big data challenges and solutions through eight foundation courses:
- Software Development in Business Environment
- Statistics and its Applications in Business
- Human Computer Interaction
- Managing and Programming Databases
- Business Intelligence
- Managing Information Technology and Systems
- Data Mining
- Web, Mobile, and Cloud Application Development
The second half of the program features three applied learning choices:
- Applied Master Project - System and Functional Analysis / Implementation and Analysis of Results
- Research Thesis
Visit smu.ca/academics/msccda-courses.html for course outlines
Benefits of the MSc CDA
- Develop in-demand skills and knowledge that lead to exceptional career opportunities
- Study with award winning instructors from Saint Mary’s Faculty of Science and the Sobey School of Business
- Interact with industry professionals through core courses, paid internships, sponsored projects, industry workshops, expert guest speakers, hackathons, and special events
Why Saint Mary's University
Saint Mary’s approach to learning will uniquely nurture the promise you possess. With one-on-one access to award winning professors, who care about your academic performance and your future, you will have the kind of personal support that makes a difference. Saint Mary’s is located in the historic city of Halifax, the bustling economic and cultural centre of Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast.
Halifax is Atlantic Canada’s Innovation Hub - a leader in the information technology sector with a growing concentration of companies and research organizations focused on analytics innovation.