This course will equip you with the latest knowledge and skill set needed for a successful career within the accounting and finance sector. Graduates have gone on to work at companies including KPMG, Deloitte and RBS to name a few.
This programme has been designed to enhance the specialist knowledge and skills of graduates who have already undertaken substantial accounting and finance studies at undergraduate degree level. Alternatively, if you have successfully achieved all of the ACCA Fundamental level papers you are eligible to apply.
The programme covers a number of core themes including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), corporate reporting, corporate governance and risk management. Professional ethics, alongside the application of tools and models of finance theory to complex strategic corporate finance transactions are central to the programme. In addition, you will develop knowledge in implementing strategy in the context of both the external environment and internal business capabilities, and be able to evaluate performance implications of a given strategy.
You will have the opportunity to engage with current business issues through specialist input and the completion of independent study. Your dissertation will normally take the form of an empirical piece of research.
Top Up Your Existing Postgraduate Qualifications to a Masters
If your qualifications are relevant to the MSc you would like to study, you may be eligible for ‘entry with advanced standing’. For more information please visit our Fast Track Your Masters page at http://www.business.mmu.ac.uk/advancedstanding/
• You will be taught in the internationally recognised multi-award-winning Business School on All Saints Campus.
• Teaching staff on this programme are highly experienced practitioners and active researchers in their fields.
• As a student of the AFE Department, you will have complementary access to Bloomberg, the leading global platform used by the world’s leading banks, corporations and government agencies for news, data, analytics and research.
• The Business School is the only public sector ACCA platinum approved learning partner in the North of England.
• Read our economics blog at http://eomics.mmu.ac.uk/
• There are opportunities to focus your assignments on your employment goals.
• You will have extensive access to real world data and academic journals.
• This programme has an advanced standing route for mature students who have relevant professional qualifications or who have previously studied for a postgraduate certificate or diploma. Through advanced standing, we can give you academic credit for your current qualifications. Typically, this would be membership of the ACCA. Consequently, you only need to study selected units and can achieve an MSc in a shorter time frame. The tuition fees for this route are also lower because you only pay for the units you need to take rather than having to study all the units for the MSc.
• You have the opportunity to join the Accounting, Finance and Economics (AFE) Student Society. The Society organises a variety of events for students including employer fairs, guest speakers and various networking opportunities.
• All graduates from the MSc Accounting and Finance course will be eligible to sit the CIMA Gateway paper, which will fast track them to the CIMA Strategic Level. The route requires you to sit a single three hour exam in either May or November each year. It assesses your knowledge of the material covered in the management level of the CIMA Professional Qualification. Once you have passed, you will be awarded the CIMA Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting and be granted exemptions from all certificate, operational and management level exams in the CIMA Professional Qualification. Then by sitting three strategic level papers and TOPCIMA (and relevant work experience) it will lead to students becoming CIMA qualified accountants.
Throughout your studies there is strong provision for employability and gaining graduate employment through our Careers and Employability Hub and a range of additional activities that include:
Live business project
Many employers require graduates who possess a range of skills and knowledge, including experience in the workplace. Masters students of the Business School take a unit called Investigating Business Practice, where you will act as a consultant for a real business. This will develop your project management, team working, client management and business consultancy skills.
Behind-the-scenes business visits
As a Masters student of the Business School, you have the opportunity to participate in a number of free business visits that allow you to see behind the scenes of real companies and learn about how these businesses are structured and operate. The business visit programme varies each year, the following are indicative of the type of business visits that are available:
• Manchester United Football Club – museum and stadium tour plus guest speaker on business operations
• Robinson’s Brewery – tour of 175 year old family run brewery and guest speaker
• BBC at MediaCityUK - tour of BBC studios at MediaCityUK with an insight into how TV broadcasting works.
• Jaguar LandRover - tour of the LandRover factory including every stage of the assembly process to the finished product.
Professional development weeks
The Faculty of Business and Law hosts two Professional Development Weeks annually. Free and open to all students, this includes a festival of skills-development activities, practical support in developing your CV and employability skills, and the opportunity to network with actively recruiting graduate employers.
Expert guest lectures
A number of guest lectures take place each year with leading speakers from industry. The Business School shares extensive links with over 25 professional bodies including the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Leadership and Management. We invite speakers from various industries onto campus as guest lecturers to share their knowledge with current Masters students.