Application period/deadline: March 14 - 28, 2018
• A unique combination of studies in ecology, population genetics and molecular ecology with emphasis in northern issues
• The study programme is a combination of field work in the arctic and subarctic and in old-growth boreal forests and mires as well as molecular lab work
• Prepares the students for future leadership positions in conservation biology and environmental ecology
International master’s degree programme in Ecology and Population Genetics (ECOGEN) is a two-year programme concentrating on conservation issues and population genetics of endangered animals and plants. The programme will give you relevant skills and core knowledge of the latest methods and tools in:
• Molecular ecology
• Microbial ecology
• Metagenomics and microbiomes of organisms
• Conservation genomics of large mammals
• Distribution history of plants and their phylogeography
The two-year programme has two specialisation options:
Optional courses make it possible to widen your expertise into:
• Aquatic ecology
• Microbial ecology
• Conservation ecology
• Restoration ecology
• Plant evolutionary genomics
The master’s programme is based on high quality and productive research in the fields of evolutionary ecology and genetics. Field research stations in natural reserves as well as Biodiversity Unit offer great opportunities for courses and research. Study environment is multicultural. ECOGEN provides positions as a trainee or a master’s thesis student, and an excellent background for PhD studies.
The skills gained in the master’s programme offer you a solid academic training and essential knowledge on wildlife conservation ecology and genetics, as well as their management. After graduation you are capable of evaluating risks, conducting management on small populations of endangered species, and doing research in the field and in lab. You are able to use molecular and bioinformatic tools.
Possible titles include:
• Project manager
• Planning coordinator of conservation issues
• Conservation biologist
Students applying for the programme must have a B.Sc. degree in biology or in closely related fields.