The Master of Science in Behavioral Health (MSBH) at USF prepares you to address disparities in the current health care delivery system. As a student in our program, you will examine the intersection of social, physical and psychological factors that impact health and well-being. Through inter-disciplinary classes, fieldwork experiences, and a capstone project, you learn psychosocial interventions as well as tools for planning, managing and evaluating community-based programs and services.
Our graduates have learned to become effective team members, who have acquired the tools to improve the accessibility and delivery of health and mental health programs. We look to our graduates to become leaders in designing the evidence-based, integrated health practices that are the cornerstone of the Affordable Care Act.
- Program can be completed in 12 months
- Classes meet twice a week in the evenings
- Courses are designed to teach practical, real world skills
- Curriculum is fully integrated so that courses build on one another
- Classes are small, inter-professional and highly interactive
- Internships, located throughout San Francisco and the greater Bay Area, allow students to apply classroom learning in the field under the guidance of a preceptor and USF faculty
- Faculty are accomplished academics and practitioners
What is Behavioral Health?
Some use the term "behavioral health" to refer strictly to mental health care or substance abuse counseling. At USF we think of behavioral health more broadly. In our MSBH program, behavioral health involves analyzing and understanding how human behavior is influenced by social, physical and mental factors and how human behavior, in turn, impacts physical well-being, empowerment, and engagement in all aspects of care.
The MS in Behavioral Health program is designed for people:
- Interested in human behavior, especially the intersection between mental and physical health
- Wanting to start a career in behavioral healthcare
- Currently working in the healthcare system and wanting additional skills in interdisciplinary team leadership, program evaluation, and project management
- Wanting a foundation for other careers such as medicine or dentistry