Why choose this course:
• Successful completion of this one-year course will give you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), allowing you to start an exciting career in teaching and make a difference to children’s lives.
• We were delighted to receive 'Outstanding' in our most recent Ofsted inspection.
• At the end of the course you will receive 60 credits towards a masters degree, such as our MA Education.
• Our tutors enjoy a strong national and international reputation for the quality of their training and research, so you can be confident that you will be learning from a highly competent and qualified team.
• We're one of the major providers in the East Midlands for Initial Teacher Education with opportunities to extend and develop your role as a teacher in today's society.
• You will be taught in our Kirtley Building, which has specialist teacher training facilities.
About the course:
This course will give you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and will prepare you fully for the practical demands of teaching, including the teaching of all National Curriculum subjects. Depending on your preference and prior experience, you can choose to specialise in teaching Early Years (3–7 year olds), Primary (5–11 year olds), or Later Years (7–11 year olds).
School experience is a key element of the PGCE course and we work closely with our partnership schools in the East Midlands to provide you with effective and practical experience. During the course you will go on two main teaching placements where you'll be supported by our 'outstanding' trained school mentors and link tutors.
Our course aims to be intellectually challenging whilst fully preparing you for the practical demands of teaching. It takes full account of current national developments in education and the Primary National Strategy. You'll be taught by a team of tutors who have a good national and international reputation for the quality of their training and research.
To fit your studies around your other commitments, you can choose our 'flexible' route which can be completed between two and three years. This means you can develop a personalised training plan which we'll put together with you, to fit study around your needs and our teaching schedule.