This innovative MA offers you the chance to gain a foothold in the hugely popular and competitive publishing industry. You’ll develop key skills and knowledge to give you the edge in a range of dynamic and rewarding careers.
• Benefit from a challenging cross-disciplinary learning experience
• Cover every stage of publishing - from initial ideas to book launches
• Gain experience in real-world publishing settings
• Combine editorial and production skills with an understanding of legal, business and ethical considerations
• Draw on our links with the publishing industries regionally, nationally and globally
• Be inspired by industry professionals and published academics
• Engage in research-based scholarship to focus on themes which particularly interest you.
An industry full of opportunity
The total value of the British book publishing industry has been estimated at around £4.3 billion, the largest in the world in terms of its output per head of population. Some 145,000 new book titles were published in the UK in 2014.
The expansion of digital publishing, the growing sophistication of interactive ebooks and the popularity of ereaders and tablets have brought new dimensions to the industry.
Meanwhile, traditional boundaries between book publishing and periodical publishing are breaking down, with professionals moving much more freely between the sectors. The industry is also becoming more global in outlook and reach, opening up even more opportunities for ambitious graduates.
The Derby MA Publishing is a newly designed programme that is up-to-date, well balanced, thought-provoking and exciting. It covers all industry sectors, from fiction to scholarly; and all job roles from editorial to author rights. It is perhaps the most tightly focused and complete Publishing MA available in the UK today.