Why choose this course
• We've developed this MRes Sport and Exercise course to help you make a difference to the lives of all those who take part in sport and exercise, whether that's at a professional or recreational level. To give you the best start, we've mapped our course against the quality standards of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). Ours is the only MRes Sport and Exercise to have done this. As well as reassuring you of the standard of teaching and support you'll receive, we hope it will boost your employability opportunities.
• The MRes in Sport and Exercise has been designed to provide the finest possible preparation for you to undertake original research in sport and exercise.
• If you are a sport and exercise graduate or a professional working in the sector and you wish to progress and study for a doctoral degree, or enhance your career progression, then this research degree is for you.
• You will have an excellent choice of online modules so that you can tailor your study in sport and exercise.
• You'll have the opportunity to work alongside our academic team in the production of high quality research and use our state of the art facilities.
• This course opens up several career opportunities, such as consultancy, practitioner roles, sports marketing, communications, human resources, and public health. The course will also support you if you wish to progress to PhD study or work based research.
About the course
To give you the best start, we’ve mapped our course against the quality standards of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). Ours is the only MRes Sport and Exercise to have done this. So as well as reassuring you of the standard of the teaching and support you’ll receive, we hope it will boost your career opportunities.
We take the view that your studies should support your current and future career aspirations and your potential. That’s why a core aspect of this course requires you to develop your own learning objectives and tailor your studies to your individual area of interest.
We have an enviable portfolio of individuals and organisations waiting to work with you across a broad spectrum of sporting practices. They include:
Derbyshire County Cricket Club
Derby County FC
West Bromwich Albion FC
The Derbyshire Institute of Sport.
Working with these and other respected organisations will provide you with unique insights and open up professional opportunities in the sport and exercise industry. We also offer the opportunity to work as a teaching assistant within the department to support the provision of our outstanding undergraduate programmes.
The facilities at Derby provide an excellent research environment. Our laboratories include technologies such as pulmonary gas and blood analysers, specialist strength and conditioning equipment, and physiological analysis and biomechanics motion analysis equipment.
You’ll have access to our new £10.8m Sports Centre, which comprises a fitness gym and associated strength and conditioning area, studios, squash and badminton courts, an internal climbing wall, sprint track, changing rooms, and treatment rooms.