Why choose this course:
• The IOA Diploma is a sought after accredited qualification which enables you to become an Associate Member of the Institute of Acoustics.
• The programme is regarded as the leading specialist qualification for the professional practitioner in acoustics.
• We're the leading centre in the Midlands for this one year part time course.
About the course:
This course is perfect for you if you're looking for a specialist qualification as a professional practitioner in acoustics. You'll become a member of the Institute of Acoustics (IOA) which will help to set you apart from other professionals in this field.
It also means that if you went on to further study, for example the MSc Applied Acoustics course, you could miss out the Postgraduate Certificate level and go straight onto the Postgraduate Diploma.
The course only takes one year to complete and you'll study on a Tuesday afternoon and evening starting in September. The examinations are held in June and you'll need to complete a project which usually takes place over the summer months.
Because the course is part time it means you can fit it around your work and life commitments, but if you are in employment you'll need to ensure that you can come in to Derby on a Tuesday afternoon to study.
You'll be taught by a dedicated and friendly team who are experienced acousticians with most having full membership of the IOA. And you'll study at the leading centre in the Midlands for this course.
Everyone must take the following modules:
• General Principles of Acoustics
• Laboratory Module
You will then take a further two specialist modules from:
• Regulation and Assessment of Noise
• Noise and Vibration Control Engineering
• Acoustics in Buildings
• Environmental Noise: Measurement, Prediction and Control.
You'll be assessed by both coursework and examination. Coursework will include laboratory reports and a small number of assignments set by the IOA.
The General Principles of Acoustics module provides a foundation for further study and deals with the nature and behaviour of sound and vibration, its measurement, response of humans to sound and vibration, and basic noise control engineering. The project is an opportunity for you to carry out an individual study in the area of acoustics.