Financial crises. Unemployment. Immigration. Global competition. At Essex we push the frontiers of accepted wisdom. We examine the decisions of individuals, the strategies of firms and the policies of governments.
We are one of Europe's leading economics departments. Our creative and committed academics undertake world-leading research, pioneering new solutions to global issues. This work informs our postgraduate courses. You'll learn alongside research stars who are breaking new ground in all fields of economics.
We're home to staff and students from all over the world who want to think, learn and achieve together. If you're ingenious, industrious and independent, welcome home.
What makes us unique?
• 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2015), ranked top 5 in the UK
• Ranked 5th in the UK for research excellence (REF 2014)
• Top 20 in the UK (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016)
• Ranked among the top 150 departments on the planet according to the QS World Rankings 2016
• Well-connected with international organisations and financial centres