Sign up to our newsletter today
We've been helping students find the right postgraduate course for over a decade.
Civil Engineering has been taught at the University of Strathclyde since 1887 and is one of the oldest courses in the United Kingdom. The Department is currently ranked in the Top 200 Universities in the World (QS WUR by Subject, 2013).
Our multidisciplinary Department has a large international student population and a global research profile, with almost two-thirds of our research output rated as ‘world-leading or internationally excellent’ in the last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008).
All our courses are accredited by professional bodies: the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers.
The Department combines the strengths of Civil Engineering, Environmental Health, Sustainability and Environmental Studies, providing the highest quality professional training linking the built environment with the natural environment. We offer cross-disciplinary programmes in teaching and research, in the areas of infrastructure, sustainable development and the environment.
Why study with us?
• Highly prestigious staff achievements: Professor Kalin: Brownfield Briefing Award (2012) for research in Environmental forensic methods for the characterisation of coal tar contamination; Professor Lunn: Geological Society of London Aberconway Medal (2011) for distinction in the practice of geology with special reference to work in industry; Professor Shipton: Geological Society of London William Smith Fund (2010) for excellence in contributions to applied and economic aspects of geoscience
• World-leading interdisciplinary research organised under 3 broad themes: environmental; infrastructure; engineering geomechanics & geoscience
• A unique portfolio of civil engineering and environmental Master’s courses, including: MSc programmes which are the first in the UK/Scotland and are offered to graduates from all disciplines, and many courses involving strong collaboration with industry and employers.
• New, state-of-the-art laboratory facilities in geomechanics, environmental chemistry, microbiology and structures. Brand new student and staff departmental office space.
• Vibrant, international student population – profiles and recommendations from students from all over the globe are available on individual postgraduate course pages via: http://www.strath.ac.uk/civeng/pg/
Back to results
University of Strathclyde
All Course Types
All Study Types
All Start Terms
Engineering graduates are in high demand from recruiting companies worldwide. This course has been designed to meet the needs of a broad range of engineering industries. Read more
Civil engineering develops and improves facilities and services that society needs – from the supply of clean water and energy to the design and construction of roads, railways and stations. Read more
This unique course, running since 2008 – the first of its kind in Europe – meets the needs of graduate students who want to contribute to environmental improvement and the circular economy, and learn how to identify and evaluate business opportunities. Read more
This one-year MRes aims to provide advanced study in Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control within Europe and globally. You'll have access to laboratory facilities that provide hands-on experience essential for experimental analysis. Read more
This course offers a cross-disciplinary approach to the study of environmental management, policy, the circular economy, sustainability and sustainable development in both developed and developing countries. Read more