Systems Engineering Essentials for Engineers is a 15-week online distance learning course for graduates in engineering or other technical and business disciplines, providing a comprehensive awareness of Systems Engineering as defined in the International Council for Systems Engineering (INCOSE) competencies framework. The course provides students with a preliminary understanding of the systems approach upon which to build their in-depth Systems Engineering skills.
Work at your own pace with online lectures designed to fit into a busy schedule. Timetabled tutorials and forums will enable you to discuss your progress with other students and academic staff. Practical application of Systems Engineering is demonstrated through a case study concerned with the introduction of a commercial renewable energy scheme.
Units and Brief contents
1. What is a System? Introducing Systems Engineering with topics such as The role of a systems engineer, Examples of Systems Failures, Systems Topology
2. Systems Concepts – Lifecycles Introducing concepts such as The Development Lifecycle, Lifecycle Identification and Planning and, The Systems and Software Engineering Lifecycle Standard (ISO/IEC 15288)
3. Requirements Management Introducing Stakeholder Identification and Management, Functional and Non-Functional Requirements and Quality Function Deployment (QFD).
4. Systems Design Introducing Functional Analysis and Concept Generation.
5. Systems Architectures Introducing Architectural Design, Design Integrity and Modelling and Simulation.
6. Organisational Aspects Introducing Governance and Enterprise.
7. Systems Design 2 Introducing Selecting Preferred Solution, Trade-Off and Through Life Management.
8. System Realisation Introducing Systems Integration, Transition to Operation and Validation
9. Consolidation Introducing MDAL (Major Data & Assumptions List) and SEMP (Systems Engineering Management Plan).
Assessments will be a combination of online tests, group work and other exercises, all of which are activities to practise the competencies being acquired.
Successful students will receive a certificate of completion and 15 credits towards the Systems Engineering MSc., for students who wish to extend their studies at a later date.
Target audience: Engineers requiring a sound awareness and greater expertise in Systems Engineering and knowledge of Systems Engineering processes and tools. It is specifically for those involved with new system introduction from marketing through to system and product support.
Previous experience: Graduate or those with appropriate industrial experience