Interest in sport and exercise in the UK has increased significantly, and those working in the industry require a diverse set of skills. This course will enable you to help athletes recover from injury and aid the general population in maintaining physical lifestyles.
You will gain practical expertise that will allow you to assess, treat and support individuals from a variety of sporting disciplines. For example, you will understand the process of an injury audit to identify risk factors, and learn how to implement an evidence-based treatment plan that minimises the chance of re-injury. You will study rehabilitation strategies, return to play assessments and explore the emergent field of rehabilitation, meaning you can prevent as well as treat injuries. All of this will allow you to accurately evaluate and attend to injuries, as well as help clients to avoid future physical discomfort and damage.
With access to both our Health and Carnegie faculties - including modern science and rehab labs, and sport facilities - you'll be empowered to effectively manage an individual's physical wellness, regardless of age or competitive level.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014: 59% of our research submitted was assessed as world leading or internationally excellent.
Our University welcomes applications from mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential. We usually require some evidence of recent academic study, for example completion of an access course, however recent relevant work experience may also be considered. Please note that for some of our professional courses all applicants will need to meet the specified entry criteria and in these cases work experience cannot be considered in lieu.
Please note that all applicants to our University are required to meet our standard English language requirement of GCSE grade C or equivalent, variations to this will be listed on the individual course entry requirements.
You could go on to work for a professional or amateur sports club, a national governing body, the NHS or as a self-employed practitioner within a private sports clinic. If you’re already working in the field, the knowledge you’ll gain will allow you to take on more responsibility and treat both recreational and professional athletic populations.
- Team Physiotherapist - Personal Trainer - Coach
Careers advice: The dedicated Jobs and Careers team offers expert advice and a host of resources to help you choose and gain employment. Whether you're in your first or final year, you can speak to members of staff from our Careers Office who can offer you advice from writing a CV to searching for jobs.
You will gain practical skills that you can apply straight away, whether you work or volunteer in sports, or are looking for your first job in the field. Our Sports Volunteer Programme has excellent links with professional sporting clubs and fitness initiatives, and you'll have the chance to maximise your learning by taking up additional experience opportunities offered through this. You'll be taught by staff who are practising sports and exercise therapists with a huge amount of expertise and professional links.
"Teaching staff on this course have experience working and researching within a wide range of elite sports including Premier League football, Women's Super League football, Super League Rugby, Premiership Rugby and international athletics. To further supplement the staff experiences, experts within specialised fields are utilised to given the course higher credibility."
Course Leader Richard Partner worked within Rugby League for more than decade and helped oversee players' development from academy ranks to full international duties.
- Rehabilitation Science Labs Our state-of-the-art facilities allow for the practical application of anatomy, mobilisation, electrotherapy, massage, heat therapy, cardio vascular and respiratory testing, physiology, anthropometry, rehabilitation and first aid.
- Library Our libraries are two of the only university libraries in the UK open 24/7 every day of the year. However you like to study, the libraries have got you covered with group study, silent study, extensive e-learning resources and PC suites.
- Sports Science Labs Our state-of-the-art labs include a human performance lab, a cardio-respiratory lab, blood sampling room for biochemical marker work, a full working physiology lab for monitoring athletes, a full body composition scanner and a nutrition laboratory.