The MA Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies enables students to deepen and broaden their understanding of the Hispanic & Lusophone world, while providing the opportunity to concentrate on a disciplinary or country-specific focus of interest. The programme studies literature, language, history and culture from medieval times to the present and covers Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Lusophone Africa and Latin America.
- Unrivalled range of modules taught by specialists of international standing in literary, cultural and historical studies, film and visual arts.
- Guided country-specific or disciplinary focuses of study. Opportunity to personalise your studies for breadth or target particular interests in a period, topic, or area
- Excellent opportunities for both taught and research modules. Hone your advanced research skills in small classes and a dissertation module.
- Excellent seminar and lecture series that attracts national and international speakers and allows students access to state-of-the-art thinking in the subject areas. Get actively involved in departmental events and Humanities Research Centres that attract national and international speakers
- Located in the heart of London and with modern study and social spaces that create a vibrant and supportive environment for students and academic staff.
- Enhanced career prospects in a wide range of fields: cultural industries, teaching, academia, and business.
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/spanish-portuguese-and-latin-american-studies-ma.aspx
- Description -
The programme develops students' understanding of the problems and debates which have arisen in the field of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies both through classroom-led curriculum-based study and supervised research. It provides a rigorous but innovative framework within which students can deepen their study of topics of individual interest. You will be given training in theoretical concepts and in research skills in order to equip you to undertake research in your chosen area. You will take up to 6 modules and also write a dissertation which draws on your core studies and also your own particular interests, all supervised in an outstanding research department.
Modules will be selected from those available, with departmental guidance, to construct a coherent programme covering one or many of the following themes:
Literature & Culture
Translation and Performance
Latin American Cultural Studies
- Course purpose -
For graduates wishing to deepen and develop their knowledge of the field of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies and gain research training and experience. This MA enables students to follow their interests and meet their personal needs while at the same time constituting an intellectually coherent approach which can be pursued at an advanced level.
- Course format and assessment -
You must successfully complete modules equivalent to a total of 180 credits. Students take up to 6 modules (120 credits) and complete a compulsory dissertation (60 credits). Modules are taught in weekly two-hour sessions; modules are assessed by coursework.
- Modern Language Centre -
You may also take optional language modules for Graduate students in the Modern Language Centre up to the value of 20 credits in addition to your normal 180 credits.
Many students pursue research in our department; others have developed their skills in teaching, journalism, cultural management or the financial sector.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London
is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 21 universities worldwide (2016/17 QS World University Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
(2017/18) Full time: UK/EU: £9,450. Overseas: £18,420. Part time: UK/EU: £4,725. Overseas: £9,210