Looking around the world today, it is clear that religion plays a role in many of the major conflicts going on at various levels. Furthermore religion plays an important role in people's lives worldwide, and has become one of the major ways people connect with each other across the globe. However, the persistence and prominence of the role of religion in contemporary societies is still not sufficiently understood in academic research and in the work of policy-makers, NGO's and journalists.
This master's track addresses the pivotal place of religion in the dynamics of globalization and conflict that shape present-day societies. The programme is interdisciplinary, examining political, social, psychological and cultural dimensions. You will learn to:
• investigate the consequences of globalization for religious practices and individual, ethnic and national identities • understand the relationship between religion, conflict and peace-building • analyse national and international conflicts, and learn how they are interwoven with religious interests and opinions
You can specialize in either conflict and peacebuilding, migration or gender
Degree: MA in Theology & Religious Studies
Why in Groningen?
• The combination of anthropology, sociology and political science is unique in the world. • Rated the best Master's programme in Theology & Religious Studies in the Netherlands. • Top 100 university • Relates latest research and theories to current developments. • Vibrant research tradition with international links. • Internships at embassies, ministry of foreign affairs, international NGO's. • Taught by leading experts with a world-class reputation. • You can follow your own research interests.
With your degree, you can advise or write policy documents on different subjects, such as, developmental assistance or multicultural society. You could work for the government, in business or at an NGO. You may also work in the media or as a teacher of religion in secondary education. Would you like to stay in academia, you can choose to apply for a place on the Research Master after your regular Master's programme. You can complete this two-year programme in one year.
- Consulting & Policy In a globalizing world, national and international conflicts are farreaching.There is a need for experts who can explain and help solve these conflicts. With your degree, you can advise or write policy documents on different subjects, such as developmental assistance or multicultural society. You could work for the government, in business or at an NGO. More specifically, this could mean working for the think-tank of a political party, for the Netherlands Institute for Social Research or for the Netherlands Institute of International Relations Clingendael.
- Media & Journalism Religion is in the news every day, often in a negative way, from terrorism to integration issues. With your expertise in the field of religion and conflict, you can intensify the debate in society and, where necessary, add some nuance to the picture. You can put your knowledge into practice as an editor at a publishing company, a broadcasting company, a newspaper or a current affairs magazine.
- Education You will have enough knowledge of the subject to teach Religious Studies and Philosophy or Social Studies in secondary education. You could also opt for a position in higher vocational education. As you also need didactic skills as a teacher, it is advisable to do a Master's in Education after you have completed your regular Master's programme.