An innovative, online part-time course, it is specifically designed for busy PR professionals who want to enhance their professional development, complement their PR experience by adding an academic discipline to their practical experience or launching a new career in the creative PR sector.
Highly experienced tutors and industry professionals who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in PR teach on this programme.
You will gain the latest academic knowledge in PR strategy, campaign planning and digital techniques, investigate corporate reputation management, media law, media management and leadership in PR practice.
Studying two units a year, supported by dedicated tutors and fellow practitioners, you will regularly meet online. As each session is recorded, you have the flexibility to access material at your convenience.
The course will allow you to gain a senior practitioner view of current management and leadership practice in public relations, as well as the ability to plan and execute campaigns using digital techniques. Experienced professionals whose initial qualifications pre-date the development of digital communications, or who are seeking to progress to a more strategic PR management role will find it equally valuable, and it will also suit journalists or marketers seeking a career change qualification.
Integral Foundation Days introduce each unit and additional support days are provided to assist learning and assessments. Online applied assessments can also benefit your career or organisation. Excellent networking opportunities are available with like-minded PR professionals and academics.
• The programme is taught by industry professionals and highly experienced tutors, who are able to draw upon their substantial experience in public relations.
• This is an innovative online, interactive and part-time course which has been specifically designed for busy PR professionals to study alongside their working lives or for those wanting to move into the public relations industry.
• Students can study this course from anywhere in the UK or overseas, from their own home or office environment.
• Units are delivered using a unique blend of live delivery, webinar and web-based learning platforms.
• Students will study four core units (30 credits each) on the programme plus undertake a Dissertation (60 credits).
•You can choose to undertake a Consultancy Dissertation and base your research around your employer, a client, an industry or even a prospective employer. We encourage you to use the Dissertation strategically to conduct original research that will enhance your career prospects.
• Each unit lasts for one semester over 4-5 months. This comprises 10 teaching weeks with mid-semester breaks followed by 6 weeks for assessment preparation.
• On average, you can expect to engage in approximately 2 hours of online teaching and tutorials per week, which you will need to supplement with your own reading, preparation and assessment work. This may vary depending on the unit studied and an individual student’s work rate but you can expect an approximate study time of 10-12 hours per week.
• Each unit is preceded by two integral Foundation Days, which will introduce you to each topic area and the assignments, and provide an opportunity to engage with tutors and network with fellow practitioners in workshops and discussions. These sessions will be recorded so that students unable to attend can access the material online. An Induction Day will also be available before your first unit of study to familiarise you with the University and online course delivery.
• Each unit will include regular contact with tutors and fellow students plus an Assignment Support Session to help you prepare for the assessments.
• If you are a mature student with relevant professional qualifications or you have previously studied for a postgraduate certificate or diploma, you may be eligible for an advanced standing route on this programme.
• Through advanced standing we can give you academic credit for your current qualifications. Consequently you only need to study selected units and can achieve an MSc in a shorter time frame. The tuition fees for this route are also lower because you only pay for the units you need to take rather than having to study all the units for the MSc.
• Practitioners holding a CIPR Diploma in Public Relations are exempt up to 60 credits for this course. This means you are exempt from taking units 1 and 3, and so can join the course at unit 2 stage. Please see below for more details.
• This course is pending approval by the Chartered Institution of Public Relations (CIPR). We have CIPR Accreditation for all other public relations courses at Manchester Met. We are also a partner university of the Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA).
• As a PR student at Manchester Met, you can gain FREE student membership of the PRCA whilst on the programme, with a range of benefits including access to professional conferences and training.
• The programme is based in the internationally recognised multi-award-winning Business School on All Saints Campus in central Manchester. This is where the Foundation Days will be conducted.
The course will help position you as a 'plus-two' candidate capable of rapid promotion through a strong portfolio of professional skills as well as academic theory.
• Read our PR blog to find out more about some of the activities on current public relations courses at Manchester Met: https://mmupr.wordpress.com/
• Access to a strong network of professional mentors and guest speakers.
• Access to our Manchester Met PR network of practitioners and alumni on LinkedIn at: http://linkd.in/MMUPR
offering contacts, work experience and employment opportunities.
• Access to our international alumni network of graduates working in public relations.
• Access to our dedicated course Facebook page which as a closed group enables you to interact with fellow students and enhance your professional network by connecting with experienced PR and communications academics and practitioners from the UK and around the world.
Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in any subject. We will consider your application if you have significant, relevant experience or degree equivalent professional qualifications.
Please refer to our website for the latest fee information.