In response to the growing need for psychotherapy in the UK, we offer a course that provides the in-depth training and therapeutic approach a professional psychotherapist requires. If you already hold a postgraduate diploma in counselling or psychotherapy, then this one year top-up course gives you the opportunity to obtain a masters qualification by studying two research modules.
You will be introduced to the appropriate methods of research in psychotherapy, and will use this knowledge to form a research proposal. You will then complete a dissertation on a subject area of your choice, but relating to psychotherapeutic practice.
Providing a comprehensive grounding in the use of interpersonal and counselling skills, your course will also provide an advanced critical and reflexive understanding of the theory, practice and established methods of psychotherapy used in professional practice.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014: 40% of our research in the Psychology unit was judged to be world leading or internationally excellent.
Our University welcomes applications from mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential. We usually require some evidence of recent academic study, for example completion of an access course, however recent relevant work experience may also be considered. Please note that for some of our professional courses all applicants will need to meet the specified entry criteria and in these cases work experience cannot be considered in lieu.
Please note that all applicants to our University are required to meet our standard English language requirement of GCSE grade C or equivalent, variations to this will be listed on the individual course entry requirements.
Psychotherapists and counsellors are employed in the NHS, education, social services and private industry, and many in the health sector draw on psychotherapy skills and theory to enhance their primary role. Our course can lead to a range of careers in related counselling and psychotherapy fields, and you could also go on to register as a self-employed psychotherapist.
- Psychotherapist - Counsellor - Mental Health Practitioner
Careers advice: The dedicated Jobs and Careers team offers expert advice and a host of resources to help you choose and gain employment. Whether you're in your first or final year, you can speak to members of staff from our Careers Office who can offer you advice from writing a CV to searching for jobs.
Our course will give you the opportunity to undertake in-depth research in an area of your interest. You'll build on your existing knowledge and experience, and gain an advanced critical and relexive understanding of the theory, practice and established methods of psychotherapy for use in professional practice.
Dissertation Undertake an independent piece of original advanced research that you will plan, implement and report. Showcase your initiative and responsibility in this process, your capacity to reflect on evidence, and make links with research theory and practice.
Understanding Social Research and Evaluation You will gain a theoretical, methodological and practical foundation for social research, enabling you to act as a social researcher to resolve practice based problems.
"I love my work and engaging students in experiential learning. My approach is to encourage my students to always link research to practice, be passionate about their work and the mental health profession, and be compassionate and human in encounters with all clients."
One of our University's graduates, Divine has experience in the voluntary sector and NHS, and has worked in psychiatric, clinical and therapeutic settings at home and abroad.
- Interpersonal Skills Suite We have plenty of private rooms to allow you to try out your counselling skills. They come equipped with recording facilities so you’re able to reflect on and improve your practice.
- Library Our libraries are two of the only university libraries in the UK open 24/7 every day of the year. However you like to study, the libraries have got you covered with group study, silent study, extensive e-learning resources and PC suites.
- Clinical Skills Suite The £1 million suite has been designed to meet the learning needs of a range of health professionals, with specialist equipment in purpose-built rooms enabling a variety of sessions to be carried out in a suitable and safe environment.