Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine is a rapidly evolving branch of medicine involved in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases such as stroke, coronary heart disease and peripheral vascular disease.
This masters online course is designed to be practical and clinically focused and will focus on applying scientific principles to direct patient care. It aims to create professionals who can independently access information and use the information to critically assess, evaluate and disseminate the evidence base related to Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine. It will develop problem solving and clinical skills together with preparing students to take a leadership role.
On completion of the course, you will be able to: - Deliver management strategies for the investigation and treatment of patients at increased cardiovascular risk. - Demonstrate knowledge and competence in Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine. - Develop and deliver Preventative Cardiovascular interventions for the wider population.
As part of your online studies you will have access to the Learning Resources Centre materials at the University of South Wales. FINDit is the University’s portal which allows you to search for over 13,000 full-text journal articles, news articles, conference proceedings and approximately 160 databases via one search box- the majority of these materials are accessible online. Interactive study skills modules are available to study via Blackboard to enable you to utilise the library services fully.
You will be taught by healthcare professionals who are recognised experts in Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine and are experienced in delivering online learning:
- Dr. Alan Rees – Consultant Physician, RCP vice president for Wales, Medical Director HEART UK
- Dr. Dev Datta – Consultant in Medical Biochemistry and Metabolic Medicine
- Dr. Ian McDowell – Senior Lecturer and Consultant, Chair of Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH) Wales Cascade Service, Chair of FH Wales Professional Advisory Group
- Dr. Devaki Nair– Consultant Lipidologist and Chemical Pathologist
- Dr. Steve Davies – Consultant Endocrinologist and Director of Diploma MSc
Work and Study Placements
Students will usually be employed as health care professionals before commencing this course. Consequently work or study placements are not available.