Didactic core modules in all aspects of paediatric dentistry including a hands-on laboratory module in operative dentistry for children. Includes: diagnosis; treatment planning and delivery of care requiring non-pharmacological behaviour management strategies and those requiring oral rehabilitation under sedation or general anaesthesia.
• Opportunities to see and treat a broad spectrum of patients as the paediatric dentistry departments at both Guy's, King's College (KCH) and St. Thomas' hospitals are the major referral units in London and the south-east of England.
• The Evelina Children's Hospital for children with special medical problems is part of the Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital Foundation Trust. (GSTT)
• Supra-regional Cleft Lip and Palate Centre & Liver Unit are based at GSTT and KCH respectively
• We are located in the heart of London.
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/paediatric-dentistry-msc.aspx
- Description -
The programme aims to produce paediatric dentists who are thinkers. Proficient and confident in all areas of Clinical Paediatric Dentistry, and capable of literature critique and in the conduct of scientific research. Our students will be able to use their skills and knowledge to set up paediatric dentistry services in both community and hospital settings.
- Objectives of the programme On completion of the programme the postgraduate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proficiency in the clinical skills required of a paediatric dentist
- A knowledge and understanding of communication skills relevant to paediatric dentistry
- Self-motivation and the capacity to learn and think critically and analytically
- An ability to analyse and evaluate scientific evidence
- A deep knowledge and understanding of paediatric dentistry
- An understanding of a broad range of research methods
- Skills to participate in dental research
- Course purpose -
The MSc Programme in Paediatric Dentistry at King’s College London
is one of the best established in the UK. The course is exacting and only the highest calibre of student is accepted. You will work hard, but we hope you will have fun here as well and have a memorable life experience.
Our aim is to produce students who will be at the forefront of Paediatric Dentistry, as clinicians, teachers and future leaders. The clinical activity is predominantly based at St Thomas’ Hospital, Waterloo, with seminars and clinics at Guy’s Hospital, London Bridge and at King’s College Hospital, located in Denmark Hill.
- Course format and assessment -
Modular programme consisting of 180 credits, plus an additional 180 credits of non-modular supervised clinical work (360 credits in total) as follows:
(i) Two taught modules, covering the scientific and clinical basis of Paediatric Dentistry usually assessed by written examination;
(ii) One clinical module, involving supervised clinical practice and examined by a mixture of case studies on treated and unseen patients, practical, or oral examinations;
(iii) One research module assessed by a written research project report and an oral examination.
The majority of overseas graduates return to their own country to practice paediatric dentistry. Home students use this programme for career progression in the UK and are only accepted if they already have a UK (NHS) National Training Number and training at either KCH or GSTT. For UK trainees, the MSc counts towards 2 years of their NTN training. For those overseas students who do require a 3 year training, an additional third year is available (the PGCert) following on from MSc.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London
is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
Free language tuition with the Modern Language Centre:
If you are studying for any postgraduate taught degree at King’s you can take a module from a choice of over 25 languages without any additional cost. Visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/mlc