Acceptable graduate credit of up to twelve credit hours, earned in a regionally accredited institution in which the student was enrolled in that institution’s graduate school, may be transferred and applied to the requirements for a master’s degree if approved by the CCN and Graduate School.
Consideration of credit does not guarantee transfer. Evaluation of credit for transfer will not be made until after the student has enrolled in the Graduate School of The University of Alabama.
Admission requirements are consistent with those of the Graduate School. Applicants for the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) will be considered on a competitive basis.
- Nurses who are interested in the Case Management Program, NP Concentration, and CNL Program are encouraged to contact the Capstone College of Nursing (CCN) Graduate Recruitment and Retention Liaison. Currently only residents of Alabama and Mississippi are eligible for the Nurse Practitioner Concentration.
Note: Currently, only baccalaureate prepared registered nurses who are residents of Alabama and Mississippi are eligible for admission to the NP concentration. There is no post-master’s certificate option. Please check this site in the future for changes in the residency requirement.
Application Process for MSN:
Enrollment into the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program is available for fall semester each year. Your completed application must be received by the April 1st deadline.
MSN Application Process
1. Begin your graduate application at the Graduate School’s Application Center.
2. Request transcripts following the Graduate School’s transcript instructions.
3. Submit supporting documents. Within 48 hours of submitting the initial part of your application, you will receive an e-mail with your Campus-Wide Identification (CWID) number. It is very important that you safeguard this number. Once you have received this e-mail, you will need to submit the following documents through Manage Supporting Documents.
- Statement of purpose - Resume or curriculum vitae - Contact information for two references – The references should be professionals who can provide insight regarding your potential for success in the doctoral program. The Graduate School will contact these references via e-mail. - Copy of active RN license from every state in which you are licensed. Note: Licensure must be maintained throughout the program.
Additionally, we may require the following:
- Official MAT or GRE score – If your grade point average (GPA) is lower than a 3.0, based on a 4.0 sytem, either overall or in your last 60 hours, an acceptable Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or must be submitted by the testing service to the Graduate School, Box 870118, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Test scores may not be older than 5 years of the application date. Use school code 1012 for MAT and 1830 for GRE.
- English proficiency exam score – Whether an international or a permanent resident, if your first language is not English, you must submit an official score report from one of the following proficiency examinations: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Pearson Test of English (PTE).
Upon admission, you will receive written notification of admission from the Dean of the Graduate School. You will also receive a letter from the Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs at CCN outlining requirements for entry into the MSN program.
Documents Required Prior to Registration (after admitted)
Documents below should be completed and signed where appropriate and sent to Christina Horen at [email protected] or faxed to 205-348-6674. A hold will be placed on your student record until all documents have been received. You are responsible for keeping all documents current throughout enrollment including annual health requirements (see CCN Graduate Student Handbook).
- Current RN license verification - Current CPR certification for healthcare professionals - Program of Study - OSHA Training for Infection Control, Bloodborne Pathogens, and Safety - HIPAA Privacy and Security Training - Information Literacy for the 21st Century Training - Nursing Student Health and Physical Exam Form - Graduate Student TB Test and Immunization Form - Substance Abuse Policy and Drug/Alcohol Testing Policy - Academic Dishonesty Form - Progression Policy - Consent to Release and Disclose Form
MSN Degree Requirements:
The MSN will be awarded to the student who has met the following requirements:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher - Good standing at the time of graduation - Successful completion of the required coursework
In addition for CNL only:
- Completion of CNL Self-assessment Exam and CNL Certification Exam