When you study with us on this course, you will focus on the provision of healthcare and social care to individuals, groups and communities within specialist community services.
The focus is on developing your competence, confidence and expertise in assessing the needs of your clients, and working in partnership with them to make informed, holistic health choices.
The ultimate aim is for you to mature into someone with the skills, knowledge and understanding to function as a valuable member of the community, and become a reflective, evidence-based and innovative practitioner as you deliver a client-centred programme of care.
Intermediate qualifications available:
• Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/courses/postgraduate/next-year/specialist-community-district-nursing
Visit the website: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/courses/postgraduate/next-year/specialist-practitioner-community-district-nursing
• Study issues of direct relevance to your personal and professional development and achievement of status as a District Nurse, and increase your prospects of fulfilling employment
• Explore the latest research and practice, and develop a range of public health nursing skills that are pertinent to district nursing
• Develop your sensitivity and understanding in relation to cultural and religious values, beliefs, abilities and the needs of individuals, groups and populations
• Gain an understanding of the evidence on which care interventions are based in order to promote, evaluate and design interventions, and critically develop effective questioning techniques to enhance your communication skills
• Benefit from student-focused, self-directed and guided learning that uses a variety of teaching methods including e-learning, work and problem based learning, simulation, role play and student-led seminars.
• Assessments And Diagnostic Skills In Specialist Practitioner Community District Nursing (CEL029-6) Compulsory
• Public Health: Principles, Policies And Practice In Specialist Community District Nursing (CEL032-6) Compulsory
• Service Improvement Project In District Nursing (CEL013-6) Compulsory
• Specialist Practitioner Community District Nursing With V100 Community Nurse Prescribing (CEL035-6) Compulsory
• Transforming Healthcare Through Effective Leadership (CEL016-6) Compulsory
The course assessment strategy is closely aligned to the teaching and learning strategy which is designed to have: immediate professional relevance; draw on expertise-by-experience; foster active learning and be leaner-centred in approach. A distinct feature of the course is the range of assessment tasks, including those that allow students to undertake workplace relevant assessments that can have an immediate impact in practice. Examples include: written assignments ranging from reflective pieces to academic essays culminating in a service improvement project, assessed practice within your placements; and the development of a profile of the health needs of your practice area, alongside resources to address the identified health need.
Assessment tasks are designed so that you can tailor them to your professional interests, experience and development needs. They area also designed so that you can rehearse ways of thinking and acting that are professionally relevant.
There are specific professional requirements for passing some of the units in the course. These requirements are stated on the relevant unit information forms (UIFs).
During the course you will acquire a range of professional and transferrable skills which are intended to prepare you for working as a District Nurse. The course provides a student- focused process for integrating personal, academic and career development. You are encouraged to undertake self-assessment to identify your strengths, interests and development needs in relation to your learning needs. Through negotiation with your personal academic tutor you will be enabled to identify your areas of interest and the areas in which you feel you need to develop. Towards the end of your studies you will be actively supported and advised regarding potential career development.
For information on available funding, please follow the link: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/money/scholarships/pg
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please follow the link: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/course/applicationform