• Provides a route to a professional doctorate and careers in research
• The role of psychological theories have a central role to play in health care provision today
• Access to a highly qualified team of psychology and counselling staff
Visit the website: http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses/applied-psychology-therapies
Psychology graduates and health and social care professionals who have an interest in therapeutic interventions. It also provides routes to a professional doctorate and an academic or research career.
The aim of this course is to enable you to develop a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of applied psychology in the context of psychological intervention and therapeutic modalities including cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).
The full-time route is structured over 12 months and comprises of three 10 week semesters. In semester 1 and 2 you will complete two taught modules in each semester. In semester 3 you will complete your dissertation under the supervision of one of the course tutors. If you choose to follow the part-time route you will complete the course over three years, completing two taught modules in each of the first two years and the dissertation in your third year.
The dissertation module on this course will also give you the opportunity to pursue an area of applied psychology and psychological therapies directly related to your own work or interest.
This course is taught using a mixture of approaches including the following:
• Video presentation
• Research seminars and workshops
• Guest speaker presentations
• Virtual learning environment, online resources and web based learning / CD-Rom training packages
• Student presentations
• Directed study
• Research Methods (30 credits)
• Psychological Therapies for Common Mental Health Disorders (30 credits)
• Addictive Behaviour (30 credits)
• Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Physical Health (30 credits)
• Dissertation (60 credits)
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including:
• Theorectical essays
• Reflective essays
• Research proposal
The programme provides a great opportunity to become a leader within your profession. You’ll also have the opportunity to network with like-minded individuals.
How to apply: http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying
2.1 Honours degree or equivalent in psychology or other health/social care related discipline, e.g. counselling, health sciences, nursing.