With increasing recognition of the impact of a world living beyond its means, the commitment to sustainable development in order to meet the needs of present generations without jeopardising those of future generations, has never been more apparent.
The MSc in Leadership for Sustainable Development will be of direct relevance to those who wish to develop the skills to make a difference in building a sustainable society. It is of direct relevance to recent graduates as well as those working in sectors dealing with sustainability.
This innovative programme has been designed in consultation with employers and academics to provide students with:
• in-depth understanding of the theory and practice of leadership in the context of sustainable development and an ability to identify and critically evaluate the role of leadership for sustainable development within a range of organisational contexts
• knowledge of the principles and core themes associated with sustainable development and an ability to critically evaluate best practice within a range of organisational sectors
• an ability to apply knowledge and skills gained from the programme in order to positively contribute to the sustainable development agenda through research projects
• competence in employability skills that will facilitate a professional approach to the work environment
STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
The innovative programme embraces action based learning, facilitated through a series of work placements and group project to foster critical thinking and promote the use of initiative for problem solving and decision making. The course is a full time programme comprising seven modules over twelve months.
The course structure is as follows:
• Leadership for Sustainable Development: to explore theories and practices of leadership in the context of sustainable development
• Foundations for Sustainable Development:1 to consider core themes underpinning sustainable development
• Foundations for Sustainable Development:2 to consider policies and strategies for sustainable development
Semesters 2 & 3:
• Sustainable Development in NGOs (Placement 1): to provide experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Non Governmental Organisations
• Sustainable Development in Governance (Placement 2): to provide experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Governance
• Sustainable Development in Business (Placement 3): to provide experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Business
• Effective Leadership: Group Project: to engage in a project to promote sustainable development through ‘experiential learning’.
A range of assessment methods are used including research projects, group work, presentations, reports and essays, exam and seminar contribution.
CAREERS IN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Graduates from this programme have developed successful careers upon completion of the MSc in Leadership for Sustainable Development. For example, past students have gone on to gain relevant employment with a range of organisations in the public, private and non-governmental organisations sectors. These include the Sustainable Development Commission NI, Action Renewables, the Environment and Heritage Service, Northern Ireland Environment Link, NIE Supply, George Best Belfast City Airport, the United Nations and the Consumer Council in Northern Ireland.
The success of the MSc Leadership for Sustainable Development programme was recently recognised when the course was highly commended in the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) Green Gown Awards 2006-7.
Up to date information on course fees can be found at: http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/finance/TuitionFees/
The University provides information on possible sources of awards which is available at: http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/PostgraduateCentre/PostgraduateFunding/
Applicants who are non-EEA nationals must satisfy the UK Border Agency (UKBA) immigration requirements for English language for visa purposes, by providing evidence of an IELTS* score of 6.0, with not less than 5.5 in any component, or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University.
*Taken within the last 2 yrs.
Please see http://go.qub.ac.uk/EnglishLanguageReqs for more information on English Language requirements for EEA and non-EEA nationals.
Visit the MSc Leadership for Sustainable Development page on the Queen’s University Belfast website for more details!