Master's specialisation in Corporate Finance and Control
Understanding a firm’s finances and knowing how to deal with not just economic but also managerial, legal, and reporting aspects to strengthen and maximise enterprise value. In a continuously globalising world economy, how can financial managers increase the value of the firm for their shareholders and stakeholders? How do managers figure out what the best investment is and how much to invest? How can and should a company finance its operations? The Master’s programme in Corporate Finance and Control provides you with the latest theory and research, focusing on all the important scientific and practical aspects that deal with the financial management and governance of modern firms. You will learn about international standards of financial accounting and reporting methods, corporate finance and governance, firm valuation, mergers and acquisitions, as well as risk management and other advanced topics in corporate finance. Graduates of Corporate Finance and Control are well equipped for careers as corporate financial manager, financial controller, or business consultant in multinational companies as well as small and medium sized enterprises.
- A sound foundation in corporate finance is integrated with modern institutional and behavioural insights, giving this Master’s specialisation a unique perspective.
- You will be confronted with both practical real-world business cases as well as the latest theoretical developments.
- You will be trained to think independently and critically about the way in which corporate finance can be applied in your professional field and you will develop skills that will make a difference in the highly competitive global labour market.
- You will be part of a new generation of finance professionals, who understand the economic and managerial implications of their decisions also from the perspective of modern institutional and behavioural insights.
- The specialisation pays special attention to global aspects of corporate finance, preparing students for a highly international career.
- Our lecturers are active in academic and applied research which allows them to incorporate the latest academic developments and practical issues. This will also enable you to actively participate in academic research in your Master’s programme.
- Professors and students interact in small groups, thus strengthening the academic atmosphere.
- Radboud University offers ‘Economics Plus’. Traditional economic models and business approaches are expanded with relevant knowledge from related disciplines such as psychology, teaching more in-depth knowledge that can be applied in today’s globalised world.
Tackling complex financial issues
We make sure that our Economics students have a strong background in both theory and practical real-world approaches. Within this specialisation of Economics, you will get a thorough understanding of state-of-the-art corporate finance integrated with modern institutional and behavioural insights. Understanding all the necessary facets will equip you with the knowledge and skills to tackle complex financial issues in today’s corporations.
Employers are increasingly looking for a new generation of financial managers, who understand both the economic and the business side of the financial workings of corporations and who can integrate this knowledge with institutional and behavioural insights to tackle a wide variety of problems. This Master’s specialisation will provide you with this in-depth knowledge and will teach you how to deal with today’s problems as a financial manager to strengthen a company’s finances and maximise its value.
Our graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills to become financial manager, financial controller, or business consultant in multinational companies as well as small and medium sized enterprises. Careers as financial analyst, investment manager or general manager – thanks to your background in corporate finance and financial accounting – are also well within your reach.
Our approach to this field
This Master’s programme does not just look at raising and investing money, but also at controlling this process with proper financial accounting and reporting, governance and risk management. We want to educate a new generation of finance professionals, who understand the economic and managerial implications of their decisions also from the perspective of modern institutional and behavioural insights.
Due to globalisation there are very few companies that do not operate on an international scale, or at the very least interact with consumers, clients and/or partner organisations in other countries. Having a thorough knowledge of international issues has therefore become crucial for every financial manager and we pay special attention to these aspects in this specialisation. With internationalisation comes the complexity of different influences and systems. That is why at Radboud University, we also teach students how to be aware of the different institutional, cultural and psychological aspects of financial matters.
- Other specialisations of Economics This specialisation looks at Finance from a firm’s perspective and at its positioning within financial markets. If you are more interested in Finance from a market perspective and how financial markets can be regulated, we suggest you take a look at our Master’s Financial Economics. Or if you want to discover the nitty-gritty of a company’s balance sheets and statements of financial position then Accounting and Control may be more interesting for you. And those wanting to know more about the trade relations between countries should take a look at our specialisation International Economics & Business.