Rapid changes in information and communication technology and its applications over recent years have caused major changes for individuals, organisations and industries. The internet, and information systems and communication technology in general, have radically impacted our personal and professional lives. New business models have emerged, as well as new types of entrepreneurship and new forms of leadership.
This two-year programme aims at providing a deeper understanding of the issues, challenges and opportunities in this area, with a specific focus on the alignment of ICT and management. The programme combines the knowledge and expertise of the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) with those of professionals from the field.
The ICT in Business programme consists of around 20 courses and a 38ects thesis project. The master’s thesis research project is not necessarily but often based on an in-company project.
The courses cover business fundamentals, core ICT & Business topics, research related courses and electives:
Business Fundamentals A set of courses that will bring students onto a basic level of business understanding. Examples: Marketing, Finance and Managing People.
Core courses: ICT in Complex Organisations Advanced courses that focus on the interrelationship between organizational processes, management and ICT. Examples: ICT Architectures, Strategy and Software Engineering.
Research Courses Courses to develop research skills, necessary for your master thesis research project. This project is not necessarily, but often based on an in-company project in a complex organization like a Governmental Institution, a multinational or a bank. Duration: 6 months.
Electives The electives allow you to individualize your programme and accommodate special interests. Examples: ICT in the Public sector, legal aspects of ICT and Data Driven Marketing. Taking electives abroad is encouraged.
The programme schedule is intense, allowing participants to complete the programme (regular course load: two academic years) in around 22 months of full-time study.
Reasons to Choose ICT in Business in Leiden:
1. The programme offers a managerial focus on ICT and Business, combining the reputation of the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) with that of the RSM Erasmus University (ranked in the top-3 in Europe)
2. Both the faculty and the department have a strong international focus:
– world-class international faculty and focus on global issues – small groups (30 students), diverse international student population (50%) – cross-cultural team work – study-abroad exchange and in-company research thesis opportunities
3. This master’s offers a seamless transition from most bachelor’s programmes in Computer Science.
4. Graduates of the master’s programme have excellent career opportunities, and typically multiple employment offers upon graduation.
5. Students benefit from the department’s strong links to industry with guest lectures, in-company research projects and placement opportunities.
After finishing M.Sc. ICT in Business, job opportunities are excellent and diverse, ranging from consultancy to IT management and from entrepreneurship to PhD research. Graduates of our programme are particularly suitable for a career path leading to Chief Information Officer in large organisations. They have found jobs in all the above categories, both within Europe and outside, in industry, government and universities.