All of our taught MSc courses are available in several formats:
- 12-month intensive MSc for graduates with a good Honours degree - 2-year International Masters for overseas students with an ordinary Bachelors degree - With an optional industrial placement (8-50 weeks of paid work experience) - Part-time over 3 years
This conversion course prepares graduates from any discipline for a career in, or involving, computing. No prior knowledge of computer science is required. A broad introduction is provided, including the key technologies and skills needed for employment. You can explore your personal interests through a variety of optional modules. Advanced intellectual, teamwork, communication and other transferable skills are developed.
Hundreds of past graduates from this course are now working across the globe for companies such as IBM, Cisco, Logica/CMG, Pfizer, Reuters, Shell and Zurich Financial. Some chose technical careers in leading software houses, advanced technology companies or commercial sectors. Others work at the interface between technicians and clients, as systems analysts or consultants. Many now hold senior positions as project leaders or managers. You might like to follow in their footsteps.
Funding is available for well-qualified students of any nationality.
If you have a good working knowledge of programming (advanced stream)
- Advanced Java for Programmers
Other core modules for all students:
- Software Engineering - Web-based Information System Development - Systems Architecture - Logic and Logic Programming - Project Research - Project and Dissertation
Optional modules available to all students (choose 1):
- Advanced English for Academic Study - Computer Graphics and Animation - Contracts, Professional Responsibility and Computing Law - Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Introduction to Intelligent Systems - Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
Additional options for advanced stream only (choose 1 more):
- C++ Programming - Cognitive Neural Networks - Human-Computer Interaction - IT Consultancy Methods - IT Consultancy Practice (includes work experience) - Networks and Network Security
Optional industrial placement (8-50 weeks of paid work experience).
The options available may vary from year to year and are subject to timetabling and prerequisite constraints. Advanced English for Academic Study may be compulsory for non-native speakers who need additional support.