The programme is embedded in an internationally respected research environment; it is related to the Zernike Institute of Advanced Materials and to the Stratingh Institute. Both are officially recognized as national centres of leading research in materials science.
With a cross-disciplinary approach, this programme will study the following fields of chemistry:
- Molecular Science This area develops the understanding of molecular aspects and applies it to the fields of nanotechnology, supramolecular chemistry, synthetic chemistry, catalysis and the chemistry of life sciences.
- Chemical Physics This field studies the physical and chemical properties of atoms, molecules and condensed matter through experimental techniques and theoretical methods. You can choose between theoretical chemistry and solid state chemistry.
- Polymer Science This domain helps you to gain a deeper understanding of the physical and chemical structure and properties of polymer. It focuses on the development of thin films, surfaces and biomaterials.
Why in Groningen?
- Research programme of chemistry is embedded in leading research institute in Materials Science - Chemistry field in Groningen has CHE Excellence Label - Cross-disciplinary approach
This degree programme in Chemistry is primarily meant for students who want to become researchers. Some graduates will, after obtaining their Master's degree, continue with a PhD project, either in Groningen or elsewhere. Some find jobs all over Europe in major companies, including DSM, Akzo Nobel, Corus or Philips.
Nevertheless, many chemists who are trained as researchers find jobs that are less research-oriented. This is because the programme also pays attention to communication skills, teamwork, presentation techniques and IT skills. During their training as researchers in chemistry, students develop general competences that make them highly versatile and widely employable. In practice chemistry graduates can be found in consulting agencies, commercial functions, product research and development, product management or teaching.
- PhD research project - Work for a major multinational such as Akzo Nobel or Philps - Consulting agencies - Product management or commercial positions
page on the University of Groningen website for more details!
Enquire About This Course
Recipient: University of Groningen
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here