This programme is designed to enable health and social care professionals to extend their knowledge to an advanced level within their specialist field of practice. It is suitable both for individuals who wish to become advanced practitioners, or for those individuals who wish to promote the advance of practice within their field of work.
The course consists of a wide range of highly flexible taught and work-based learning modules that will enable busy practitioners to access patient-care enhancing education.
You can choose to study the generic pathway or MSc Advanced Practice (Mental Health).
What will I study?
The course will allow you to develop a systematic and critical understanding of the breadth and depth of knowledge within your specialist area of practice whilst also learning:
- How to deal with complex issues both systematically and creatively and make sound judgements in the absence of complete data;
- How to elicit and record an accurate clinical history, perform a clinical examination, successfully interpret clinical diagnostic results and devise a clinical management plan;
- How to operate ethically in complex and unpredictable specialist situations with a critical understanding of the issues governing effective practice;
- High levels of autonomy and advanced decision making skills that can be applied to your specialist area of practice;
- A critical understanding of research methodologies and the ability to evaluate, synthesise, generate and disseminate the findings of research.
In addition to the taught course, past and present students of the programme are invited to join the informal Edge Hill Advanced Practice Forum which typically meets twice a year.
How will I study?
Diverse teaching and learning strategies will be used, ranging from individual personal teacher contact to supported online learning, small group work to teacher-led lectures.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment methods vary according to the demands of the module but can be through assignments, Objective Structured Clinical Examinations, portfolios, seminar presentations and work-based learning projects.
Who will be teaching me?
The programme team comprises of expert staff with many years experience in clinical practice in areas such as intensive care, coronary care, forensic mental health, and medical practice.
You will also be taught by associate tutors from primary and secondary care, neurology, paramedic practice, biological sciences and other areas of senior healthcare management.
What are my career prospects?
This programme will enhance your ability to gain employment in more senior roles as an advanced practitioner, within your chosen field of healthcare.
Successful completion of this MSc enables you to meet Health Education North West’s requirements to practice at an advanced level across the health professions spectrum, including roles such as paramedics, operating department practitioners, nurses, dietitians, occupational therapists and physiotherapists.