This programme offers a contemporary and specialised approach to accountancy and finance, focussing on the exploration of key practical, theoretical and empirical issues. It is ideal if you wish to pursue a career in the financial services industry, professional accountancy, banking and finance or management. It also provides a thorough preparation for academic research.
The worlds of accountancy and finance are always changing due to the changing legal framework the financial sector operates in. If you want to work in this area, this course will provide the theoretical framework and latest information.
The programme brings together two highly-respected Schools of Queen Mary University of London
. The School of Business and Management is rapidly building a strong reputation for a distinctive approach, in particular the focus on the inter-disciplinary nature of business and management.
The School of Economics and Finance is one of the top Economics schools in the country, with particular expertise in economic theory, econometrics and finance, and applied economics. We have published research in virtually all the top economics journals. In the REF 2014, the School of Economics and Finance was ranked among the top ten in the country for research power.
* You will also receive tuition from visiting 'practitioner' professors, who are City professionals and able to apply theory to real world scenarios
* There are an unparalleled set of optional additional modules focussed on applied topics such as portfolio management, computational finance and electronic trading-designed to equip students with the key technical skills employers look for
* The School of Economics and Finance runs the MSc Investment Club which will enable you to gain hands-on experience in trading and portfolio analysis. The investment club operates as a micro-fund and provides you with the chance to familiarise yourself with the financial world.
Our PGT students will have swipe card access to the Innovation Pod, Think Pod, and the QUBE Mac Suite; all located on the Third floor of the Bancroft Building. The Think Pod is an interactive collaboration space with presentation, recording and video conferencing facilities. The Innovation Pod provides workspaces for individual learning. The QUBE Mac Suite is a workspace for student entrepreneurs providing 27-inch iMac computers with state-of- the art media creation and editing software.
You will have access to Queen Mary’s comprehensive libraries, including the Postgraduate Reading Room, and The British Library can also be accessed as a research resource.
You will have also have access to facilities and equipment, including:
* Applied analysis software
* Subscription to Datastream
* Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) which includes Bankscope and CRSP
* Data analysis simulation software
* Bloomberg subscription
* Macrobond - data charting and analytical application
* Two school computer labs
* 70 PCs and designated printers
* Postgraduate micro-lab (running specialised econometrics software)
You should have at least good lower second class honours degree, or equivalent, normally, but not strictly, in Economics. Some background in quantitative subjects is advisable. If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency - 6.5 IELTS or TOEFL equivalent is required.