In our ever-more interconnected world, digital technology is transforming the healthcare industry. From patient charts to hospital orders, healthcare information technology (IT) is streamlining care and improving outcomes. You can help lead the charge with a master’s degree in healthcare informatics.
Challenged to be more accountable for health outcomes, and at the same time, adopt digital health information systems, healthcare delivery systems are in the midst of a technological revolution. With qualified candidates in high demand, Sacred Heart University (SHU) prepares graduates to successfully tackle the challenges of health technology and take on a leadership position in this dynamic field.
With a master’s degree in healthcare informatics from SHU, you will hit the ground running and be prepared to: - Lead. Graduates will be able to able to prioritize projects, strategize IT implementation and manage teams and systems. They will know how to partner with their colleagues to bring the positive and lasting impact of healthcare informatics to various health settings.
- Innovate. Using cutting-edge health technology and medical informatics best practices, graduates will be able to design solutions to the complex challenges of health information systems.
- Evaluate. Program participants are experts at determining the technology needs of an organization and formulating solutions that take clinical, operational and financial constraints into account.
- Mediate. Healthcare solutions must work for the entire team—from physicians and clinical partners to information technology teams to research and administrative stakeholders. Our graduates will know how to collaborate with diverse teams and build consensus.
A Graduate Informatics Program-100% Designed for You The healthcare informatics program has been specifically designed for working professionals, offering unparalleled flexibility and convenience through its unique online or on campus format. Students in the program are able to work and collaborate with others in their cohort, yet still manage ongoing professional and personal commitments.
The M.S. in healthcare informatics is personalized to each student. As an incoming student, you’ll speak directly with the faculty chair to discuss your goals—ensuring that they align with those of the program. Faculty also host regular office hours and you are encouraged to collaborate with fellow students and professors both online and on-site.
What Sets Our Online Program Apart The healthcare informatics master’s degree program at Sacred Heart University provides a unique combination of real-world, practical lessons and scholarly research. After completing the online, two-year, 36-credit program, our graduates are equipped with: - A Solid Foundation: Working directly with the faculty chair, Dr. Stephen Burrows, students begin the program by studying the economic, cultural and technological basis of healthcare IT, focusing on business and clinical operations.
- An Understanding of Project Management and Workflow Optimization: Efficient and effective processes are the name of the game in healthcare informatics. The program delves into workflow design, effective communication and advanced project management methodologies.
- Knowledge about the Impact on Policy and Governance: With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, more healthcare providers are required to document and track their compliance with certain measures. We examine how these changes are impacting the business and operations of healthcare.
- Emerging Technologies: In addition to studying the latest advances in both patient health records (PHR) and electronic health records (EHR), students are exposed to the trends and innovations that are shaping healthcare—from biometrics to telemedicine to robotic surgery.
Who Should Join the Informatics Program? If you are considering a master’s in healthcare informatics, our program is best suited for students who either have prior experience or are interested in healthcare IT. However, the program is designed to accommodate the needs of healthcare professionals without an information technology background, as well as IT professionals with little knowledge of healthcare environments.
Admissions Requirements Sacred Heart University's online healthcare informatics graduate program is competitive. To apply for this degree you will need the following: - Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution - A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above - Personal essay/statement: Why do you want to pursue Sacred Heart University's Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics program? - Two letters of recommendation - A curriculum vitae or resume - Non-native English language speakers must submit an English language proficiency examination, such as the TOEFL or IELTS.
In total, 36 credits are required for the healthcare informatics master's degree program.
Faculty & Staff Students in the healthcare informatics master’s program are taught by professors with extensive real-world expertise in medical IT. From a vice president of healthcare finance to a Chief of Quality, our faculty possesses a deep and varied knowledge of the field. They know what works— and what doesn't —so our students gain a practical set of skills that can be immediately applied to jobs in medical informatics.
See course description
2015/16 Full-time: $6,800 per semester, Part-time: $750 per credit
Recipient: Sacred Heart University
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here