See our web site for more information (click on "Finance") website
02 August 2017
The MEd Tesol at the University of Exeter is aimed at qualified teachers and others who work in TESOL at either primary, secondary or tertiary levels in different educational contexts around the world.
Whether you are a qualified teacher or new to the profession, we offer a route within our flexible MEd TESOL which is tailored to your needs. Built on 20 years' experience of English language teaching, our Masters programme offers two routes; one for teaching practitioners seeking to develop their professional skills and the other for those wanting to enter a career in language teaching.
The MEd TESOL has international recognition and is seen as an important professional qualification worldwide to enable TESOL teachers to enhance their career prospects. In particular, it is often seen as an important entry qualification for educators who want to work at University level. At Exeter, depending on the modules taken, completion of the MEd TESOL can help you to move into new areas within TESOL such as teacher education and training, English for special purposes, materials development and the teaching of English to young learners.
TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a broad term, encompassing a number of other terms related to the various contexts in which English is taught around the world. These include:
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), which refers specifically to the teaching of English in countries where it is not an official language - TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), which refers to those contexts where English is acquired as a second language, in addition to a first language, as is the case where English is used as the language of government, for example, or education - TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language).
Hands on experience
The programme offers you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience by undertaking visits to local language schools in Exeter.
You will also develop your understanding of theoretical issues in language teaching and the implications of these for classroom practice through insights shared by guest speakers.
Programme for all TESOL professionals
The programme will:
* develop and extend your understanding of key aspects of linguistics and learning theory and their influence on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages;
* enable you to make informed professional decisions regarding language teaching in the workplace and justify these to others;
* enable you to select, adapt and design materials and activities for language teaching appropriate to your own teaching context;
* enable you to investigate and research aspects of TESOL in ways that will support continuing development and practice as a foreign language teaching professional.