Our MSc Mathematics programme consists of a wide range of modules and a written project. Your module choices will be mainly from the two main blocks of pure mathematics and theoretical physics but you are also able to choose certain modules from the Financial Mathematics programme and at other University of London institutions, subject to approval.
- An intensive course covering a wide range of basic and advanced topics.
- Intimate class environment with small class sizes (typically fewer than twenty students on a module) allowing good student-lecturer interactions.
- A full twelve-month course with a three-month supervised summer project to give a real introduction to research.
The majority of the eight modules are taken from blocks of pure mathematics and theoretical physics, with other options from the MSc Financial Mathematics and other University of London institutions available, subject to approval.
- Metric & Banach Spaces - Complex Analysis - Fourier Analysis - Non-linear Analysis (new in 2013) - Operator Theory - Galois Theory - Lie Groups & Lie Algebras - Algebraic Number Theory - Algebraic Geometry - Manifolds - Real Analysis II - Topology - Rings & Modules - Representation Theory of Finite Groups
- Quantum Field Theory - String Theory & Branes - Supersymmetry - Advanced Quantum Field Theory - Spacetime geometry and General Relativity - Advanced General Relativity - Low-dimensional Quantum Field Theory
- Course purpose -
This programme is suitable for Mathematics graduates who wish to study more advanced mathematics. The programme ideally prepares students for PhD study in a mathematical discipline.
- Course format and assessment -
Eight modules assessed by written examinations; one individual project.
Many of our graduates take up full-time employment in various industries that require good mathematical/computer knowledge or that look for intelligent and creative people. Recent employers of our graduates include Barclays Bank, Kinetic Partners, Lloyds Banking Group and Sapient.
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.