“There is no branch of mathematics, however abstract, which may not someday be applied to phenomena of the real world.” – Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky
If you're looking to take your undergraduate mathematics experience to new levels and develop advanced research skills, this intensive programme covers the wide spectrum of discrete mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics, and addresses some of the key quantifiable challenges and opportunities in the world around us. An interdisciplinary subject by nature, we will help you to apply mathematical concepts and methods to the ever-changing worlds of science, engineering, business, digital technology and industry, and particularly to communication theory, mathematical physics and financial mathematics, where some of our key research interests lie.
The skills you gain will open up a range of career options and provide a solid foundation if you wish to progress to a PhD. You will be guided by renowned specialists in the field who publish in internationally competitive journals and work closely with partners in industry.
Join our friendly and inspiring department and you will benefit from a thoroughly supportive learning environment, with generous staff office hours and a dedicated personal advisor to help you with any queries and guide you through your degree. Our graduates are in demand for their skills in research, numeracy, data handling and analysis, logical thinking and creative problem solving.
In addition to these mandatory course units there are a number of optional course units available during your degree studies. The following is a selection of optional course units that are likely to be available. Please note that although the College will keep changes to a minimum, new units may be offered or existing units may be withdrawn, for example, in response to a change in staff. Applicants will be informed if any significant changes need to be made.
You will initially choose eight modules from the list of available options, of which you specify modules during the second term that will count towards your final award. You will also complete a core research project under the supervision of one of our academic staff. There is a strong focus on small group teaching throughout the programme.
Assessment is carried out through a variety of methods, including coursework, examinations and the main project. End-of-year examinations in May or June will count for 66.7% of your final award, while the dissertation will make up the remaining 33.3%.
By the end of this programme you will have completed a major research project and acquired an advanced knowledge and understanding of: the role and limitations of mathematics in solving problems that arise in real-world scenarios. You will also have impressive skills in selected areas of mathematics and their applications, and the ability to synthesise and interpret information from multiple sources with insight and critical awareness. We will teach you to formulate problems clearly and express your technical work and conclusions clearly in writing, and you will develop valuable transferable skills such as time management, adaptability and self-motivation.
Our graduates have gone on to carry out cutting-edge research in the fields of communication theory and cryptography, as well as successful careers in industries such as: information security, IT consultancy, banking and finance, higher education and telecommunication. They have taken up roles such as: Principal Information Security Consultant at Abbey National PLC; Senior Manager at Enterprise Risk Services, Deloitte & Touche; Global IT Security Director at Reuters; and Information Security Manager at London Underground.
You will have a dedicated personal adviser to guide you through your studies and advise you on postgraduate opportunities, and the campus Careers team will be on hand to offer advice and guidance on your chosen career. The University of London Careers Advisory Service offers regular, tailored sessions for Mathematics students, on finding summer internships or vacation employment and getting into employment.
Visit the Mathematics for Applications - MSc page on the Royal Holloway, University of London website for more details!