This program has been developed in collaboration with professional radiopharmaceutical scientists in the Australian community to train graduates with a chemistry or biomolecular sciences background in the uses of radiopharmaceuticals in diagnostic and therapeutic medicine.
- Students are given opportunities to independently perform many common analytical techniques covering the application of chemistry to medicine. - Introduction to the use and application of radiation in medicine is also offered through this program. - Graduates will complete the program with an advanced understanding of requirements for gaining accreditation of their laboratories and control processes therein.
Students in the program are likely to have come from an undergraduate degree in chemistry or related field and will be looking to specialise in this growing field of chemistry; or possibly will have been working in the field of radiopharmaceutical science and are looking to upgrade their knowledge and skills and to achieve certification through the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM), the body which provides professional certification for Radiopharmaceutical Scientists.
Recognition of prior learning
Course Duration - 2 year program Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline; Bachelor degree in any discipline and work experience in a relevant area*
- 1.5 year program Bachelor degree, Honours, Graduate Diploma, or Masters (coursework) completed 10+ years prior and work experience in a relevant area;* Bachelor degree in relevant discipline and work experience in a relevant area;* Bachelor degree in Chemistry.
- 1 year program Bachelor degree in Chemistry and work experience in a relevant area;* Honours, Graduate Diploma, Masters (coursework), Higher Degree Research in a relevant discipline.
- Relevant disciplines Chemical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Other natural and physical sciences.
- Relevant areas Research work in chemistry, nuclear medicine, radiopharmaceuticals and pharmacy. *Relevance determined dependent upon candidates performance in interview/diagnostic test.
English language requirements
IELTS of 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in each band, or equivalent
You may satisfy the English language requirements if you have completed: - senior secondary studies equivalent to the NSW HSC - one year of Australian or comparable tertiary study in a country of qualification
- Accreditation The program is part of the pathway to professional certification through ACPSEM.
- Career Opportunities All work requiring medical laboratory specialist management and supervision.