The Master of Professional Accounting explores all aspects of business, financial and management accounting as well as providing you with the skills you need to work within the profession.
The course is suited to recent graduates and professionals in the early stages of their careers who have a bachelor's degree in another field, and are seeking to complement it with a professional accounting qualification.You will develop a strong understanding of key concepts and gain expertise that reflects current business practices.
This course may qualify you membership with key accounting institutions and industry bodies, such as CPA Australia, the Institute of Public Accountants and the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia.
The course is structured in three parts. Part A. Advanced preparatory studies, Part B. Mastery knowledge and Part C. Application studies. All students complete Part B. Depending upon prior qualifications you may receive credit for part A or part C or a combination of the two.
PART A. Advanced preparatory studies These units will equip you with business foundation skills and knowledge, examining accounting, law, economics and statistics. These units allow you to consolidate foundation knowledge for further professional accounting studies.
PART B. Mastery knowledge These units will develop your capacity as a critical accounting professional able to apply your knowledge of a specialisation to provide discipline-based solutions to professional accounting environments.
PART C. Application studies The focus of these studies is professional or scholarly work that can contribute to a portfolio of professional development and give you the skills to practice effectively as an accountant.
Students complete two units (12 points) of elective units at either Level 4 or 5 from the Faculty of Business and Economics or across the University so long as you have the pre-requisites and there are no restrictions on admission to the units
The Department of Accounting is committed to the advancement of knowledge and preparation of accounting professionals through high quality research, teaching and learning.
Our enviable reputation is based on our:
- vibrant, collaborative and productive research culture - contemporary, in-demand educational programs - excellent teaching and research infrastructure - strong links with professional bodies and the business community.
- High quality research We have received the highest possible rating of five in the latest Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) report for Accounting, Auditing and Accountability.
Our research strengths fall into four main areas:
financial accounting management accounting auditing accounting information systems.
Our research activities are supported by the provision of excellent infrastructure and facilities including the Monash Business School Behavioural Laboratory.
- Outstanding education programs The Department of Accounting teaches into a suite of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees offering specialisations in Accounting. We also offer higher degree research programs. Our graduates have achieved great success in a variety of careers in industry, government, private practice and education.
- Strong industry links We have developed strong ties with relevant professional bodies and leading individuals and companies in the business community through a range of collaborative projects and programs.
Our mission, vision and values
Mission We engage in the highest quality accounting research and education to have a positive impact on society.
Vision The Department of Accounting will be recognised as one of the world's leading academies of scholarship in accounting, verified by the most esteemed arbiters of quality.
Values Whilst pursuing our mission and vision we are committed to:
- act with integrity, transparency and accountability - strive for and recognise excellence in everything we do - provide a respectful and collegial environment for all staff and students - uphold the principle for responsible management education and effective global citizenship - engage collaboratively with our stakeholders.