In today's environment, international security studies goes beyond the traditional security challenges such as military conflict and can include challenges to human, societal, economic and environmental security. This degree explores the strategies being developed to respond to these security and intelligence threats. It covers a broad spectrum of traditional and non-traditional security issues examined from a regional and global context.
- Gives you access to experts from around the world with practical experience in all levels of security - Opportunity to undertake study in the workplace (external study mode), supervised and coordinated through web-based activities - You may be able to complete an industry-focused internship depending on your academic performance - Offers contemporary and rigorous academic study in security studies and intelligence analysis, as well as transnational crime, international law and political violence - This degree can be combined with the Master of Policing, Intelligence and Counter Terrorism
Anyone with an interest or with experience in the areas of international relations, security, government, risk assessment or non-government organisations.
Recognition of prior learning
Course Duration - 1.5 year program Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline; Bachelor degree in any discipline and work experience in a relevant area at a senior level;* Bachelor degree in any discipline and Graduate Diploma in a relevant discipline.
- 1 year program Work experience in a relevant field at senior level;* Honours, Graduate Diploma, Masters (coursework) or Higher Degree Research in a relevant discipline.
- Relevant disciplines Natural and Physical Sciences, Information Technology, Health, Banking, Finance and Related Fields, Society and Culture, Communication and Media Studies, Accounting, Business and Management, Business Management, Human Resource Management, Organisation Management, Industrial Relations, International Business, Pubic and Health Care Administration.
- Relevant areas *Police Force, Defence Force, Public Service. Level of seniority: Police - Senior Sergeant equivalent or above; Defence - Major, equivalent or above; Public Service APS 5 equivalent or above. Knowledge must be equivalent to a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma level, to be deemed by the Department on a case by case basis of assessment.
English language requirements
IELTS of 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in each band, or equivalent
You may satisfy the English language requirements if you have completed: - senior secondary studies equivalent to the NSW HSC - one year of Australian or comparable tertiary study in a country of qualification
Career Opportunities - advisers and analysts for private security agencies - advisers and analysts to international organisations involved in security operations - border protection agency officials strategists - commentators and researchers for media outlets - researchers for intelligence agencies
- Employers Our graduates find employment with government and non-government employers who deal with state and international security issues.