Macquarie’s educational leadership program is designed to develop those who aspire to lead, or who have leadership roles. You are able to specialise in either primary or secondary schools, or early childhood settings.
We begin by closely examining the nature of educational systems and organisations and the factors which shape the learning and teaching that occurs within them. Upon this foundation you will develop specialist skills and knowledge, based on the most up-to-date international research, theory, principles and practices of educational leadership. A capstone unit gives you the opportunity to integrate the knowledge and skills gained across all your subjects, and a research unit teaches you how apply this in a rigorous and scholarly way to solve a substantive educational issue of your choice.
The knowledge management, critical thinking, and communicative capabilities you acquire through this degree will enhance not only your own learning but also the capacities of the educational institutions in which you work through your focus on developing evidence-based, theoretically-sound insights into professional practice.
Please note that this is not a teaching qualification.
- Build your career in school or early childhood education leadership Specifically targeted to the needs of those who aspire to lead, or who have leadership roles, in primary or secondary schools, or early childhood settings.
- We recognise your knowledge and skills Under Macquarie’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy you can apply for up to four units of credit based on previous postgraduate studies, professional development and training, and work experience. This could mean a reduction of up to one third in the cost of, and time taken to complete, your degree.
- Our program is flexible and can easily be tailored to meet your needs You can complete your degree on-line or on-campus, study at your own rate, and structure your program to meet your personal goals. Your decisions are not set in stone, should your needs change there is scope for you to change modes of study, programs, and even degrees.
- Top staff, cutting edge knowledge Our academic staff are active researchers in their respective fields and they will guide you to the most up-to-date international research, theories, principles, and practices in education.
- Not just an academic exercise We provide you with opportunities to work collegially with like-minded peers to explore innovative solutions to challenges that impact on learning in your workplace.
- A step up Students who begin their specialist studies with us in one of the Graduate Certificates can step up to the Master of Education with full credit for the units they’ve completed.
The Master of Educational Leadership caters to those who aspire to lead, or who have leadership roles, in primary or secondary schools, or early childhood settings.
Please note that this is NOT A TEACHING QUALIFICATION. If you don't have an Australian level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent in education you will need to complete a supplemental application form and find two workplace referees willing to comment on your employment history and on the knowledge and skills you have developed there.
English language requirements
IELTS of 7.0 overall (with minimum 6.0 in Reading, 6.5 in Writing, 6.0 in Listening, 6.0 in Speaking) or equivalent
You may satisfy the English language requirements if you have completed: - senior secondary studies equivalent to the NSW HSC - one year of Australian or comparable tertiary study in a country of qualification