The Master in Arts Management offers a unique learning experience preparing students to embark on a management career in the arts and creative industry. The one-year program aims at developing skills and providing tools to deal with the new challenges of the domains of both the visual and performing arts, with an international perspective.
The main goals of the program are:
● Build and strengthen basic knowledge and understanding of History of Art (visual and performing arts), with particular attention to the contemporary world and the international scene
● Build and strengthen competence in economics and management and as it applies to the cultural industry
● Build and strengthen competence in legislative transmit and reinforce the legislative competences and their application to the cultural field, in an international perspective
● To contribute to the advancement of cultural institutions and companies in Italy and abroad, by fostering interests for Art and its proliferation
Career opportunities & professional recognition
The Master’s qualification in Arts Management will open up professional opportunities in the fields of Organization, Marketing and Communications, Accounting, Legal Affairs, Projects and Events Management in cultural institutions and companies. Other professional opportunities are to be found in consulting and service companies in the fields of promotion, communication and management of cultural events, products and services.
● Visual Arts Management: seminars, lectures and hands-on activities and visits to build up competencies related to museum management, galleries, corporate collectors, and, more widely, institutions and organizations in the field of visual arts promotion and communication.
● Performing Arts Management: seminars, lectures and hands- on activities to build up competencies in the field of performing arts, ranging from the movie industries to the management of cultural events.
The goals of the advanced courses are to build up competencies in specific fields of arts management in order to provide participants with advanced knowledge about how to solve problems and cope with the challenges of the arts field
● Cultural Policy: cultural policy will be discussed from historical and international perspectives in order to focus on the main policy challenges when managing arts organizations
● Marketing for the Arts: marketing policies and practices for cultural organizations will be covered, ranging from for-profit to non-profit cultural organizations
● HR and Leadership in the Arts Industry: organization forms for cultural industries, project management tools and the most advanced people management topics will be discussed during the course
● Accounting and Fundraising in the Arts Industry: accounting principles and contemporary fundraising tools for non-profit and cultural organizations will be discussed and applied
● Law and the Arts: relevant and most up-to-date criminological knowledge about the empirical dimension of offences against both movable and immovable cultural property, at both national and international level will be covered
● Media in the Arts: the role of technology, especially new media, in changing the business and organizational model of cultural institutions will be analyzed
Educational activities are divided into Core Courses and Advanced courses. On top of the basic and advanced courses, participants will be involved in team-building activities at the beginning of the program.
Team Building Activities
The goals of team building activities is to help participants know each other and create a collaborative atmosphere in class. Moreover, these activities will introduce participants to Milano and its cultural assets. Team building will include:
● Dinner with the class and the Master Faculty
● Team building experiences to know your class
● Guest speeches from established professionals in the field
The goals of basic courses is to reinforce competences related to the two souls of the Master Program: Humanities and Management. The courses provide training for skills in art history and in their management and they will give participants the op- portunity to align their competencies and exchange knowledge.
● Art History: seminars, lectures and visits to provide participants with fundamentals of visual arts history
● History of Performing Arts: seminars and lectures to share fundamentals about film, theatre and music history.
To complete the Master in Arts Management, participants are required to carry out a three-months internship in a cultural institutions or company in one of the above mentioned fields. They will have the chance to be included in the Master Curricu- lum Vitae book, that will be transmitted to the major institutions and organizations in Italy and abroad.
An international learning experience
Located in the unique city of Milan which contributes to a valuable international perspective. This glowing city allows students to merge the learning experience with the cultural atmosphere of the city. Students will have the opportunity to practice their knowledge through field projects and internships even beyond the classroom.
A national and international academic and professional faculty using teaching methods that foster an interactive and hands-on approach to issues of cultural heritage management.
All scholarships are assigned on a merit basis and will be mostly given to students who apply by the priority deadline. Some scholarships may also target specific geographic regions.