Sign up to our newsletter today
We've been helping students find the right postgraduate course for over a decade.
The interdisciplinary Master of Arts program in Middle Eastern Studies is designed for students considering an academic career who have not had the appropriate academic background for direct entrance into a doctoral program, and the program is also suitable for those who wish to use their knowledge of the Middle East in careers outside of academia. Language and area studies preparation may be supplemented by relevant course work in a professional school or department at UChicago. We invite you to watch a recent webinar hosted by Center for Middle Eastern Studies Director Orit Bashkin, Deputy Director Paul Walker, Associate Director Tom Maguire, and Center Assistant and MA alumna Xhesika Bardhi. You may watch here.
There are two tracks—modern and ancient—for the MA program in Middle Eastern
Read more about this course
All applicants must submit the following materials:
• a statement of purpose,
• 3 recommendation letters,
• 15-20 page writing sample,
• unofficial transcripts,
• GRE test scores from within the preceding 5 years,
• TOEFL or IELTS test scores from within the preceding 2 years (if needed to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement for international students), and
• an application fee of $90. The fee can be waived if it presents a financial hardship, or for members of certain groups. Requesting a waiver will not affect the assessment of your application. Please reach out to us at email@example.com to request a waiver.
Incoming MA students are eligible for a limited number of scholarship awards up to half tuition. For the second year, students with a 3.5 GPA or above are likely to receive funding at the full tuition level. Second year students may also apply for FLAS awards, which add a stipend.
Fees & funding
Start dates & study options
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.