Recent political shifts in Muslim majority countries have put Muslim minorities in the spotlight and impacted upon their relationship with their host societies.
This new programme gives you an opportunity to consider Muslim minority communities comparatively, within both western and non-western contexts. You will explore key themes such as ethnicity, gender, and the varieties of religious interpretations and practices that have resulted in issues and challenges arising uniquely within different Muslim minority communities. The programme is highly interdisciplinary and offers a flexible combination of module choices including for example, law, history, international relations, and diplomacy.
You will acquire skills necessary to work in a wide range of professions that require an understanding of inter-cultural relations and policy-making at both local and national levels. You will also gain the expertise to evaluate materials from different sources such as the media, government reports and legal documents as well as academic research.
The programme is offered by the Department of Religions and Philosophies http://www.soas.ac.uk/religions-and-philosophies/
and delivered by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) http://www.soas.ac.uk/cisd/
Students take four modules (comprising one core and three elective) over two years and write a dissertation
•Muslim Minorities in a Global Context
•Introduction to Islam
•Muslim Minorities and the State: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives
•Islamic Law in a Global Context
•Religions and Development
•The Art of Negotiation
•Global Public Policy
•Global Diplomacy: Citizenship and Advocacy
•Political Islam in South Asia
•Contemporary India, State, Society and Politics
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules http://www.soas.ac.uk/infocomp/programme-disclaimer/
Teaching and Learning
Teaching & Learning
Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
This programme is taught 100% online through our VLE. In the VLE you will have access to learning materials and course resources anytime so you can fit your studies around your existing commitments. For each module, students will be provided with access, through both the SOAS Library and the University of London’s Online Library, to all necessary materials from a range of appropriate sources.
A key component of the student experience will be peer to peer learning, with students enrolled in discussion forums.
Each module is assessed by five written online assessments (‘etivities’*) comprising 30% and one 5,000 word essay comprising 70% of the module mark. The etivities provide formative and summative feedback to students as a means of monitoring their progress and encouraging areas in which they can improve.
The Dissertation is assessed by the submission of a written dissertation of not more than 15,000 words, excluding the bibliography and appendices, which will account for 85% of the mark awarded for the module. The remaining 15% of the module mark will be based on the mark obtained for a 1,500 word research proposal.
* An 'e-tivity' is a framework for online, active and interactive learning following a format that states clearly to the students its 'Purpose'; the 'Task' at hand; the contribution or 'Response' type; and the 'Outcome' (Salmon, G. (2002) E-tivities: The Key to Active Online Learning, New York and London: Routledge Falmer.)
How to Apply
You can apply using our online application form http://www.cefims.ac.uk/forms/appform/cisd_appform.shtml
If you have any questions please use our online enquiry form.
The deadlines for applications are as follows:
31 March 2016 for a 20 April 2016 start
Your completed application will be reviewed by a member of academic staff. If your application is successful, we will send you an official offer within ten working days and you will be asked to submit the relevant supporting documentation. Once in receipt of our offer, we
recommend submitting your documents immediately.
Supporting documentation for applications - please view website http://www.soas.ac.uk/cisd/programmes/ma-muslim-minorities-in-a-global-context-online/
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4050
A minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent). We welcome applications from academically strong individuals from a wide variety of fields and backgrounds. Candidates with a lower class degree but with degree-relevant work experience may be considered.
£10,000, payable in advance or payable upon enrolment for each module in four instalments of £2,500 (plus a local exam centre fee).