Full time available
For UK and EEC students - £6,500 p.a
For students outside UK and EEC - £10,000 p.a.
24 April 2018
At the School of Traditional Arts, based in London, UK, our MA degree is a full-time, two-year, taught course.
Our MA degree in Visual Islamic and Traditional Arts is unique – there is nothing like it anywhere else. We emphasize improving practice in skills and techniques in a range of traditional arts and crafts as much as theoretical and philosophical learning.
In the first year students take taught modules in geometry, ceramics, stained glass, woodwork, Indian and Persian miniature painting, icons, methods and materials. There is also a residential field study trip. (120 units)
In the second year teaching continues while students work on their own practical and research projects under supervision. (60 units)
At the end of the course, students select examples of their best art to exhibit in our Degree Show.
Our MA students tell us they especially appreciate
· Expert tuition and attentive supervision
· Good student:teacher ratio
· Small groups; close, supportive community
· International perspectives - teachers and students from varied backgrounds and from all over the world
· Our apprenticeship model - practising artists and experts guide students' development and deepen knowledge of techniques, materials and philosophical principles
· Varied learning - formal presentations, seminars, critical studio-based sessions, residential field study trip, staff and student meetings; informal visits to galleries, museums and other institutions
· Free access to our School's programme of short courses, in addition to the MA course
· Individual work space for each MA student
· Good technical facilities and support
Find out more about our Masters degree course here.
Applications for MA course beginning in September 2018 are now closed. Applications for the MA course beginning in September 2019 will be open from 24 September 2018 until 28 February 2019.
If you would like to register your interest and receive updates about the MA course beginning in September 2019, please complete this form here
Further information about applying can be found here.
Our MA in Visual Islamic and Traditional Arts is validated by the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
Visit the MA in Visual Islamic and Traditional Arts page on the The School of Traditional Arts website for more details!